Fear no More. Remove that Drip Rail Trim with Confidence

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
zKars
Supporter

Fear no More. Remove that Drip Rail Trim with Confidence

Post by zKars » 07 Jun 2020 14:20

Finally found out a really easy and straight forward way to remove the dreaded drip rail trim.

Checked on Youtube and sure enough, here is a guy who's method is simple, straightforward, AND IT WORKS.

https://youtu.be/-nG5U7OVgUQ

Catch the bottom lip from the back side with a wide flat blunt tool, and hit the tool from inside to outside with a horizontal blow to force the lip off.

I was able to remove all four pieces on a 4 door I'm parting out in 20 min flat. The first piece took me 10 minutes as I was taking my time and learning. The method seems a bit brutal, but I harmed absolutely NOTHING, neither paint nor the shape of the SS trim using this method.

My prior attempts at this using various tools like pliers to roll the trim off yielded only ruined trim.

Notes:

-Use a tool more or less like the one he uses, just make sure its at least 12" long, and tough enough to hammer on without bending the tool. The tip needs to be at least 0.75 - 1 " long and nice and straight and flat with nice square edges. Rigidity counts, I wouldn't use a putty knife. You have to hit the tool shaft 2-3 inches below where the tip touches the trim to clear the door frame so don't want the force going into bending your bar.

-Don't use the tool on the curved corners. There is more lip there, and you will bend that lip. Get the straight sections loose first from each end, right up to where the curve begins. When both ends are off and floppy, just gently rotate the loose sections, with your hands close to the curve, to roll the corner off from the bottom to the top. Go gently.

-I can see how the real problem here is replacement after a fresh paint job. This will not go well if you have more than the stock thickness of paint under these trims when you go to bang them back on. At very least you will be sending chips flying as it sheared off when this nice thin sharp SS is being pressed/pounded back into place. I'm tempted to say, paint the car with the trims left on and don't even bother removing them unless you know there is rust or damage underneath that you have to deal with.

Byron510

Re: Fear no More. Remove that Drip Rail Trim with Confidence

Post by Byron510 » 07 Jun 2020 23:51

That's pretty cool Jim.

There have been so many ways people have tried to remove these over the years.

If this really is this easy on a 510, I'm be damned!

However I have never removed these trim parts - simply because I have never wanted to scratch the paint putting it back on. I figure if hasn't rusted in the first 50 years, it's probably good!

Thanks for posting Jim.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars » 08 Jun 2020 05:44

I totally agree with the sentiment of “just leave it alone” when you can. The only reason I did it was I’m stripping this shell for parts and I have aNother shell I’m working on that came without this trim. Hoping 2 and 4 door trim is the same size.

Here are the tools I used. The bar is a tire changing pry bar. I sharpened and squared up the end. I use the bar for many things. The end is very nice long taper that I use as a wedge for many jobs and general prying and levering. Nearly indistructable.
38C35574-D6C9-4B58-BBE1-00DE42572C8E.jpeg
38C35574-D6C9-4B58-BBE1-00DE42572C8E.jpeg (422.65 KiB) Viewed 330 times
40DFFF18-C3E2-4BF9-A5C6-6F0508ED7BD3.jpeg
40DFFF18-C3E2-4BF9-A5C6-6F0508ED7BD3.jpeg (125.8 KiB) Viewed 330 times

yenpit

Post by yenpit » 26 Jun 2020 10:48

I'm a firm believer in getting the best possible paint job by removing ALL trim on any car. However, I typically suggest to 510 people to MASK OFF this drip rail moulding, to NOT remove it for two reasons............first, it is a pain to remove without bending/damaging & second, if the NEW paint is too thick (thicker than thin factory!), it is difficult if not impossible to get back on without damage! Yes, of course, some people are lucky & it all works out, but a good detailed masking of this moulding & it turns out just fine! My 2c!
72 521 flat bed pick up
1965 Mustang GT Coupe

LOTS of 510 parts!