BMW Ellipsoid Euro Headlights

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
spoolinitup33

Re: BMW Ellipsoid Euro Headlights

Post by spoolinitup33 »

okayfine wrote:Yes and yes.

I have to imagine the conversion has been documented here. If not, there's always...

DQ Volume 2 Issue 2 - Installing BMW Projector Style Lights - Got lights? Are your halogen lights not bright enough? Outshine the sun with an upgrade to BMW projector-style headlights.
Well it couldn't be that dang hard to do. I'm gonna try to stick them on here in a little while, we'll see how it goes. I can pretty much tell what to do in this picture, taken from djlotus' build page:

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

spoolinitup33 wrote:Well it couldn't be that dang hard to do.
It's not. Mostly just a cut-to-fit operation. Keep cuttin' until they fit!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

How is the plastic housing retained in the metal cup? Just press fit? I guess you could epoxy it once it's where you want it. You sure don't want it shifting around while driving.
gnar510
Supporter

Post by gnar510 »

This may link may help you out some as well. http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php? ... =ellipsoid
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Thanks for the info, Gnar. I didn't get to mess with them much tonight, just trimmed off the plastic brackets.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So is there any real advantage to using this light over say a good quality H4 Hella or Bosche light? I can see the projectors being better than stock type sealed beams (especially if the lights you had were 20 years old!). But if you compared the same wattage projector against an actually Hella or Bosche (not the Chinese knock offs), are the BMW units better? Or is this more of a form than function modification?
Any ideas from guys who’ve done the conversion.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

S15DET wrote:How is the plastic housing retained in the metal cup?
The stock 510 headlight retaining ring fits the BMW light also.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Byron510 wrote:So is there any real advantage to using this light over say a good quality H4 Hella or Bosche light?
I've never had actual Hella-brand H4 buckets. And without some back-to-back comparisons, I think it would be hard to really say. I changed to the BMW units because the H4 buckets I was using this last time didn't have a good pattern and even with them adjusted down still caused some people to flash me. They were bright, though! And the used BMW units were cheaper than the new Hella stuff, which mattered at the time.

The BMW lights have a definitive cut off as modern cars do. Maybe the Hella-brand H4s also have this. One advantage to the projectors is that they are the proper housings to use with HID lights, if you switch to 'em.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

okayfine wrote: One advantage to the projectors is that they are the proper housings to use with HID lights, if you switch to 'em.
That's what I was planning on doing.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

What is involved with swapping to the HID bulbs into these projector type lights?
Is it just bulbs, or is there some type of igniter box also required?
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Byron510 wrote:What is involved with swapping to the HID bulbs into these projector type lights?
Is it just bulbs, or is there some type of igniter box also required?
I think you have to put a ballast in with them.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

It's easy to do HID. You just order the appropriate kit. All it does is add a ballast (plug and play). The kit will come with HID bulbs that have a base to match your application so they fit in the housing.

That being said. My BMW has the kit David first posted in this thread. The BMW Depo smilies. When I put those in with an HID upgrade kit, I was not happy with the results at all. Which is why I spent all the time doing the Acura TSX upgrade.

I think the only difference in choosing the BMW's over the H4's would be projector or non.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Dangit, every time I try to take the chrome pieces and buckets off of my 510 headlights, there's one screw that is rusted and doesn't want to come out, and this has happened both times, I don't know how:

Can you weld on that crap with a mig welder? It's so thin though I don't know if I could without burning a hole through it.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

spoolinitup33 wrote:Dangit, every time I try to take the chrome pieces and buckets off of my 510 headlights, there's one screw that is rusted and doesn't want to come out, and this has happened both times, I don't know how:

Can you weld on that crap with a mig welder? It's so thin though I don't know if I could without burning a hole through it.
This happens to me too. I probably have some decent light trim rings here. Next time you try to loosen those screws, try tightening them a little first to break them loose. If they don't loosen up, try using a set of vise grips on the thread side and loosen them that way. Also, hit the rusty screws with some penetrating oil first.

Those trim rings are stainless steel. I would think it could be welded or use a little JB weld.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

qwik510 wrote: This happens to me too. I probably have some decent light trim rings here. Next time you try to loosen those screws, try tightening them a little first to break them loose. If they don't loosen up, try using a set of vise grips on the thread side and loosen them that way. Also, hit the rusty screws with some penetrating oil first.

Those trim rings are stainless steel. I would think it could be welded or use a little JB weld.
Yeah I might try a little JB weld. One of those tabs actually broke off of one the rings.