How to fix a speedo?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
jonmorine

How to fix a speedo?

Post by jonmorine »

Hello,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but my speedo doesn't work on my 69 and I am wondering if there are any places that I could find good instructions on fixing it? I am assuming I will need a new cable which I can find, its just I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks for your help in advance.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
okayfine
Supporter

Re: How to fix a speedo?

Post by okayfine »

Depends on what is wrong. It could be the cable, as they get dry over years and can snap. It could be the sender in the transmission. It could be inside the gauge itself.

What, exactly, is happening to lead you to believe your speedo is broken? It's hard to help when you haven't provided any symptoms.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510Martinez

Post by 510Martinez »

jonmorine wrote:Hello,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but my speedo doesn't work on my 69 and I am wondering if there are any places that I could find good instructions on fixing it? I am assuming I will need a new cable which I can find, its just I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks for your help in advance.

If its the cable you just replace that. If it's the speedo head, the average car guy does not have the correct tools or knowledge to fix it. They use a spinning magnet to move the needle and the shaft runs on a small precision bearing sleeve. There are plenty of shops that fix speedometers if it need it.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

510Martinez wrote:If its the cable you just replace that. If it's the speedo head, the average car guy does not have the correct tools or knowledge to fix it. They use a spinning magnet to move the needle and the shaft runs on a small precision bearing sleeve. There are plenty of shops that fix speedometers if it need it.
Very true. I have that exact condition. This was one of the reasons I asked for symptoms. My ODO and Trip meters roll over as I drive, but my speedo needle doesn't move. This points directly at the speedo head, not at the cable (or the sender).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

OK the symptoms are as follows: The gauge needle does not sweep at all. Also the Odometer doesn't work either.

All other parts of the instrument cluster work such as temperature, gas, blinkers, etc.

I hope this helps.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah, that's more likely a cable issue.

The ODO is gear-driven from the cable. The speedo needle is indirectly driven via magnets as Martinez described.
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

Great thanks for the info.

So it should be pretty evident when I take the cluster out what is wrong with it. Keeping my fingers crossed.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

No reason to take out the cluster. You should be able to get your hand up behind and unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo. Pull it backward (towards the firewall) an inch or so to pull out the drive wire, then remove through the firewall.

In fact, you likely won't be able to remove the cluster until you remove the cable.
510Martinez

Post by 510Martinez »

There is another, but less likely, possibility. You could have a problem at the transmission. The cable is driven from there. First thing I would do is look to see if it's still attached and if there isn't a badly damaged gera on the cable end or in the transmission itself.
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

Great thanks for the info guys. I am hoping its just a snapped cable and there isn't a problem at the connection. I appreciate your wealth of knowledge.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

If the outer sheath that protects the inner flexible cable is damaged, road spray will enter and collect at the lowest point. Next winter when it freezes the inner cable will twist off as soon as you drive it a few car lengths. I think NAPA still has them for around $20. If they don't go back as far as the 510 try a newer 620 truck. It will be at least a foot longer but can be zip tied out of the way.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

OK so I took the cable out and it is not snapped. However it was full of oil. Well that what I think it was. I decided to replace it with a new one and still no luck. Looks like it may be a problem at the transmission. Is there an easy way to fix it at the transmission sender location?
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

jonmorine wrote:Looks like it may be a problem at the transmission. Is there an easy way to fix it at the transmission sender location?
Depends on what's wrong with it. It always depends.

That said, have you verified the cable is or is not turning underway? Remove the cable from the back of the speedo and have a friend watch the squared cable itself as you drive a short distance. The squared cable should rotate. If it does, your problem is in the gauge cluster. If it doesn't, your problem is at the tranny/sender. Easy test to point you in the correct direction.
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

Wow never thought of that. Thanks
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

OK I am learning more and more about this problem. I tried your technique and drove without it connected to the back of the speedo. The cable was not spinning. So I tried another technique. I reconnected the cable to the back of the speedometer and attached a drill to the transmission end of the cable. As soon as I gave the drill a little spin, the speedometer and odomoter needles moved. Therefore I am almost certain it is the drive in the transmission.

The next question is: how do I fix that. Its a 4 speed tranny. The only other tranny that I have seen this fixed on (non Datsun), you were able to pop the speedo gear out externally. It does not look like I can do that with this one.

Any ideas would help. My repair manual doesn't say anything about it.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit