How to fix a speedo?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
five&dime

Re: How to fix a speedo?

Post by five&dime »

Here is a diagram. Part's number 40-44 are the whole speedo gear assembly. From what understand. The last stock speedo gears were just sold last month. Check with Riley at Lynchburg Nissan b/c I think he had the last ones.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun510 ... fault.aspx
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Remove small 10mm? bolt (47) and remove lock plate or key (45) and pull out with very slight twisting motion.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

Wow that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I wondered what that bolt was for. I now have to source the parts. I sent an email to Riley so hopefully I can get the part.

If anyone else knows of where to find one let me know.

Thanks everyone.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

jonmorine wrote:If anyone else knows of where to find one let me know.
Think of all those tossed 4-speeds...

That said, the mechanical speedo sender assembly might be the same for a large portion of the '70s Datsuns. My local junkyards have left the '70s behind, but you might have more luck in your neck of the woods, provided Riley can't supply you a new piece.

Still, it would be interesting to pull what you have and see if you can figure out why it's broken. Might be a simple fix to the removed part. If the assembly turns properly and rotates the square hole for the cable, you might have something wrong inside the transmission. Unlikely, but still...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson