How to fix reverse lights?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
jonmorine

How to fix reverse lights?

Post by jonmorine »

OK, sorry for all the questions. My Haynes repair manual isn't helping me out as much as I wanted it to. And the PO has done some funky things with this car.

I have done the normal checks to get my reverse lights to work. ie changed the bulb, checked that power was getting there. It is not.

Therefore I immediately went looking for the reverse lamp switch that plugs into the transmission. I do not see any wires running to the transmission. The repair manual doesn't even show me where it is at all.

I am assuming the switch was removed.
So the question, I have is,
Where does it connect to the 4 speed transmission?
and Where can I find a new switch?

Thanks again for all your help.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
five&dime

Re: How to fix reverse lights?

Post by five&dime »

I believe the reverse switch is on the passenger side of the trans about midway down the side of it. Should be fairly easy to see when the car is in the air.
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

OK if that's where it is supposed to be, its not there. Is there anywhere that people could recommend finding a reverse switch?
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I just posted this diagram on your other thread. You need part # 50

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun510 ... fault.aspx
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

if you werent doing a full restore, id say to wire up a swtich to them. i did this in the wagon.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

jonmorine wrote:OK if that's where it is supposed to be, its not there. Is there anywhere that people could recommend finding a reverse switch?
Junkyard. Nissan used the same switch for their RWD stuff. I used my L13 three-speed reverse switch in my SR 5-speed. Just make sure you grab a reverse switch from the donor tranny, I don't think the neutral switch operates the same.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

hang_510 wrote:if you werent doing a full restore, id say to wire up a swtich to them. i did this in the wagon.

I actually thought about doing this. My only question, would be whether or not it would pass my local safety inspection.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

okayfine wrote:
jonmorine wrote:OK if that's where it is supposed to be, its not there. Is there anywhere that people could recommend finding a reverse switch?
Junkyard. Nissan used the same switch for their RWD stuff. I used my L13 three-speed reverse switch in my SR 5-speed. Just make sure you grab a reverse switch from the donor tranny, I don't think the neutral switch operates the same.
There is actually one on ebay for a 1600 roadster. Sounds like what you are saying is that this would work.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Given that I have no experience with the Roadster stuff, yeah, it should work :mrgreen:

32005-21100 changes up to 32005-K121A. When you have Lynchburg Nissan on the phone, see what those numbers get you.

five&dime has a Roadster box in his car. Maybe he can confirm?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson