Coolant expansion tank, SSS?, ebay

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
S15DET
Supporter

Coolant expansion tank, SSS?, ebay

Post by S15DET »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-5 ... 240%3A1318

Does anyone have a picture of this item installed. I'm trying to determine if I can use it or not. Is this really an SSS item, I've never seen mention of it before?

Pictures below stolen from ebay add.
Attachments
!BU9p3HQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr(3WBKQJ523qS!~~_1.jpg
!BU9p3HQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr(3WBKQJ523qS!~~_1.jpg (19.32 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
!BU9pzFw!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlbinfBKQJ5eONFg~~_1.jpg
!BU9pzFw!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlbinfBKQJ5eONFg~~_1.jpg (16.57 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
hang_510
Supporter

Re: Coolant expansion tank, SSS?, ebay

Post by hang_510 »

doesnt say 510 in the ad, so maybe a different model, the truck in the garage???
likely from one that wasnt imported into the US
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Never seen it before. It's not a SSS option, the various lists of SSS options I've seen never included that tank. Likely just an owner retrofit. I don't know where they'd use that mounted in the car...the vertical mounting could be bolted together with the top bolt of the radiator...but that wouldn't leave any place for the lower horizontal mounting to be bolted.

If you have space clear on the right side of the engine compartment forward of the strut tower, the mid-'80s Mazda 626 has twin washer fluid and radiator overflow bottles that fit well - mounting tabs are made to mount to the right side.

I just converted a stock 510 washer bottle for radiator overflow duties.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
spriso

Post by spriso »

Sorry, SSS cars did not come with an overflow like that...

That overflow bottle is from a Datsun 1600/2000 Roadster.

Nice story though!

spriso
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
drieseck
Supporter

Post by drieseck »

I've installed this Roadster sourced tank on two 510's with great success. Mounts to the battery side, minor bracket re-mod, utilizes rad mount & head light frame hole w/longer screw, existing tube fits fine, no interference with fan, cap is a roadster source.