ignition switch question

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
spoolinitup33

ignition switch question

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Is there any way to take the ignition switch out of the piece that connects to the steering column? The dumbass p.o. cut the part that connects the switch to the steering column with the lock in it off for some odd reason. But I have another ignition switch that has the mounting part still in tact, I just don't have a key for it. And I would just go get a key made, and I guess I will if you can't take it apart, but I'd like to use the original Datsun key :D
defdes
Supporter

Re: ignition switch question

Post by defdes »

Yes, it screws in from the back side. You'll have to take off the top and bottom steering column covers to get access to it cleanly.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

I know you can take the back off of the ignition switch, but will the whole ignition switch come out of the piece that mounts to the column?
DeRuX

Post by DeRuX »

If you look on the metal piece I think there is a small pin. You need to either drill this pin out our drill right next to it and pry the pic out. Then you should be able to ge tthe keyed part out.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Just to be clear, here's a picture. You can see how they cut the piece that connects to the steering column off. Will the piece that I have the red arrow drawn to come out of the piece I have the blue arrow drawn to?

Dimelovr

Post by Dimelovr »

I would suggest taking it to a locksmith. Find out who the local dealerships use and take it to one of them. I did this with mine and they tood it apart completely and figured it all out of only $20. Just a suggestion.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

it still comes out from the back side. the chrome piece it just decrative.
There is a pin you'll have to get out, as mentioned above, and I believe is the one visable on the close side, in the picture (above the plastic piece).
All the guts come out from the backside, starting with the switch, then a metal piece, then the tumblers.

It worth trying yourself. Embrace your inner 10-year old, and take it apart. It's garbage anyways being cut in half.

One more thing, are you trying to save this lock set because of the key in the picture? 'Cause it's not an original.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Yeah I was just wanting to keep it because of the key, I thought it was original. It says Datsun on it lol.
510Martinez

Post by 510Martinez »

The whole thing comes apart pretty easily. So go ahead and take it apart. You'll learn how simple the design is.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

I got the switches changed out. That picture I put up is of the ignition switch that came with my car. I don't know if it's actually an ignition switch from a 510 or what. But I had another ignition switch that I know for sure came out of a 510. They were a little bit different once I got the insides out, but I was able to get them switched.