Chinese made aftermarket windshields

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Chinese made aftermarket windshields

Post by Three B's Racing »

I've been running a Pro Source windshild since `97 and though it does have pits and one chip I chock that up to yearly runs to Summit Point WV since `99, Road Atlanta 2010, Canby 2017, North Carolina-Maryland runs just to see friends and typical New Hampshire, Massacheuttes, Maine and Vermont roads and highways. The pitting seems typical to me as compaired to the original windshild it replaced which was only 8 years older but had less miles on it and was in worse shape than the Pro Source I'm running. I have a spare Pro Source I'll be using when that time comes.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have installed a Pilkington screen on one of my cars, and what I can say against the Chinese glass is that it is thicker and sits in the OEM rubber much better than the Chinese ones do and the Pilkington is closer to the OEM glass thickness. It’s still a bit thinner, but it’s a lot closer.

As far as mileage and wear, it’s unfair to report as this car has been driven less than 500 miles since I changed that glass over a year ago. But on fit alone its worth the buy.

I did a write up on that install, I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Byron510 wrote:I have installed a Pilkington screen on one of my cars, and what I can say against the Chinese glass is that it is thicker and sits in the OEM rubber much better than the Chinese ones do and the Pilkington is closer to the OEM glass thickness. It’s still a bit thinner, but it’s a lot closer.

As far as mileage and wear, it’s unfair to report as this car has been driven less than 500 miles since I changed that glass over a year ago. But on fit alone its worth the buy.

I did a write up on that install, I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Byron
Hey Byron, your right on the thickness difference. As far as fit in the seal I can't remember that part but I can tell you this, it doesn't leak.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
anguso

Post by anguso »

Thanks guys,
I'd love to see any writeup on the install, but at this point I'll likely pay someone with real experience to do the installation.

A quick question - given the thread title, I'm unlikely to get much traffic from someone who might be interested in new glass but hasn't done a decent search. Is it OK to post in the classified section to get a bit more visibility?
510rob

subject line is included in each post - subject line for 1st post in a thread sets the title field for the thread...

Post by 510rob »

You can edit the title by going back to your first post and editing the title in that first post.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It’s not a how to install thread, but I did note the glass thickness and a few other bits on the installation.
I used a really dine, tight weave 3/8” nylon rope this time, it work d quite well.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11938&p=254103&hilit=L13#p254103

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11938&p=254103&hilit

Byron
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I just put a Chinese one in my car. It was the first time I had ever attempted something like it and after reading a couple of write ups on here about it it took me a total of 8 minutes after the rubber and stainless trim was on to do it by myself. I really didn't think it was going to be that easy, especially by myself. It fits well but is thinner and lighter then the Pilkinton that came out. That did make it easier to handle.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Norm, you took a Pilkington out and put in a Chinese one? Do tell...
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It was probably 25+ years old and like trying to look through a white sheet when driving into the sun.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I know what you mean about the thinner Chinese glass going in easy - when I installed one for a club member it felt like it fell into place -
Thrown from a distance! Trust me, a stock thickness windshield takes a bit more time to seat those corners properly :-)

Byron
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

on a side note: picked up a nos gasket from a local guy with a shop. installed it into 6inches of rust less than a year ago. yesterday the gasket looked a bit funny I pushed on it and it moved. closer inspection showed the gasket had split. along the top edge were it grabs the pinch weld.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Does anyone make glass for the JDM coupe?
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

in respect to chipping and pitting, its not just the thickness of the glass that makes it better, it is also glass content quality that makes a better windscreen.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.