Chinese made aftermarket windshields

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Byron510

Chinese made aftermarket windshields

Post by Byron510 »

Eh fellow dimers,
I recieved this PM earlier today, but I thought that the topic should be posted for all to see as the reponce is good for us all:

You seem to be a knowledgeable member of these forums so I thought this question would be appropriate to ask you. I have the opportunity to purchase an 'aftermarket' windshield for my '72 Two Door. My current windshield is cracked and I most definitely need a new one.... My question is... What information do you know about these aftermarket windshields roaming around the market? It would be a shame to buy this windshield only to have it leak on me or cloud up. Any info at all would be great.

Hi there,
I have, unfortunately, had experience with these Chinese made windshields. A group of us bought a case of 10, and then split them up amongst the club members.
And - they are not good. For a start, they are significantly thinner. All the cars that I have personally installed these windshields in are fair weather cars, in other words we avoid rain at all costs so I can’t tell you if leaking is a concern. All three of these windshields were installed with new, OEM rubber gaskets.
You have to be a bit more careful when installing them, as they would be easier to break than standard Nissan glass.
The other issue is that they seem to be prone to pitting and hazing prematurely. After only 20 driving hours in both Bert Vorgons car, and Jason’s wagon, the glass is already noticeably pitted when driving into a low sun. And Bert has already suffered a bulls eye, but this is not the glass's fault (however, thicker glass would be less prone to bulls eyes).
So, if the glass is cheap, then I say it'll work. But if you have an alternative, I'd try to find a piece of Nissan glass.
I have looked into making windshields of the appropriate thickness, but the cost of doing it locally is in the $600 range, plus about $1200 to make the jig which I think is prohibitively expensive – at least right now.
Just my thoughts.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jason
Supporter

Re: Chinese made aftermarket windshields

Post by jason »

Thus far, I haven't noticed any water leaks with the gasket or the windshield. I was also choiceless as my windshield was also cracked. It is noticeably thinner and lighter than the OEM windshield, but, those are NLA even out of Japan...
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Are they even legal??? Are they safety glass with plastic layer in the middle??? Certified for use in North Am?? Or are they Chinese nuclear waste encased in glass. http://www.seattlepi.com/specials/eternity/vitri1.html (hi lou) :mrgreen:
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Baz

Post by Baz »

laminated band tinted ADR approved windcreens are still available in Oz.
No probs with high UV & we use them on race & rally cars. A1 quality.
the screens are approx AU$150 but freight is a huge killer due to the size of the box.
Have tried to do a bulk deal years ago but it was a pain in the butt & not worth the effort.
2 or 3 in a box is best we can do & then it will be freight by fedex.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

We should look into this gang! What is the Aussie dollar right now, compared to ours?

As Byron said, I got a small star chip in my new windshield, from what must have been a very small stone. We did not even hear it. At least the Novus repair worked. I suspect they scrimp on the annealing process, after watching a program on how windshields are made.

These Chineese windshields are very poor quality. I have maybe a total of 40 hours on mine, and already it is almost as bad as my original 73 screen..almost. Yes, there is a laminate in there, as one got broken in storage, so we know for sure. It is way thinner that the factory ones for sure. If I had even thought there was NO laminate in there, I would have just done a Lexan window and changed it once a year
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Live rate at 2009.09.16 03:34:54 UTC shows $100.00 AUD = $92.8095 CAD

Keep in mind that reported number is a bulk mean rate, aka a mid-market average for the bulk of large-value transactions happening - we as small guys will definitely be gouged a few extra points by any exchange service, both coming and going.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Also there are a very limited number of coupe (not 2 door sedan) screens available.
also now available ( these are made in OZ)
http://datsport.com/rubbers-510-coupe.html
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

I have a Aussie made 521 windsheild . Seems like good quaility to me
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

count me in for two if this goes...... however, if we have demand for say 20, wouldn't it just be cheaper and less risky for us to pitch in and have the mold made and do them here?
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Just a quick update. Byron and I had a discussion about this issue, and will re-visit it later in the fall/winter.

The bottom line is there would be no volume discount, as he only makes them one at a time. The cost could be kept lower by having a group that was commited, as this would drop the overall cost of the mold down. This also would be a deal on everybody puts there money up front first. Apparently, he would make them to the CORRECT THICKNESS, and yes they would have a DOT sticker on them.

Will keep you all posted.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

what would the final cost be?

and how would we get em down here?
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Merlin travels to the US all the time, conveniently in a Toyota Tacoma. Lots of space for windshields in that truck bed.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

okayfine wrote:Merlin travels to the US all the time, conveniently in a Toyota Tacoma. Lots of space for windshields in that truck bed.
So true... I'll be going to New Mexico via LA in about a month... and again in January to Barrett-Jackson for a look see. The new 4 cylinder Tacoma 4x4 runs on vapors... already own two and just ordered my third one this week.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

merlin wrote: The new 4 cylinder Tacoma 4x4 runs on vapors...
so itll be like floating in a cloud with all those windshields around you when you bring em by :wink: :mrgreen:

i have not installed either chinashield that i have...
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Got a chip the other day from a semi going the other way. Didn't know these were so hard to come by so I'm going to get that patched (forty bucks ridiculous) and I'd be interested in this as well.
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.