Chinese made aftermarket windshields

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
merlin
Supporter

Re: Chinese made aftermarket windshields

Post by merlin »

chongmang wrote:what about us folk in California that need windshields! :evil:
LMFAO!... sorry,but i think the two i got a few months ago were from the original california order... not enough ppl on the list in cali were interested, so the Canadian guy had them shipped up here.... keith can clarify...
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That is correct. I can't remember what all that discussion was about the U.S. not shipping to Canada...but...whammo...I got the 2 out of the States, and ordered another 10 just for good measure! :lol:
I'm at home right now, so my list of who actually ordered, is at work. There may be 1-2 windshields left over, of which one is already spoken for..( who ever that was remind me...jeez, my mind...).

Obviously Pilkington had no problem stepping up to the plate on this, so I would think you U.S. guys just need to get someone to actually act as the organizer, get money up front, and order. I had 10 ordered within 1 day, with everybody paying 100.00 for the deposit, and, as we have seen, everything so far has pretty much gone as planned. I was told the end of August...they are here.
I think the key is just talking to the right glass people, and when they know you are serious, it's business done no matter what.

EDIT: JUST TO BE CLEAR, I WILL TRY TO PICK UP NEXT WEEK, AND LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW THEY ARE PACKAGED.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Ok, I am picking up windshields tommorrow!

He has stayed with the quoted price, so each person will owe me 267.50 per unit. I will pay for the whole amount, just to get them into my possesion. He is putting them into a crate for me, but, I would suggest you bring lost of your own packing to take them home.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

The windshields have landed, they are now at my work.

I have offered to host the meeting saturday night, at my work, so if you can, please come and grab your windscreen.

Keith Law
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

so keith, what time saturday and witch mcdonalds do you work at ? :wink: .
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I will be at my work by 6:00 PM, maybe a tad earlier...there's always something I can work on.

I'm going to need a hand to get the two boxes safely out of my van anyhow, as they packed 5 to a box.

Keith Law
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

chongmang wrote:what about us folk in California that need windshields! :evil:
you can get them from/pick up from DLsocal (talk to mike at JCCS)
i cracked mine showing how crappy they are :twisted:

OR... once i confirm with a local shop that they can really get something 'better' i will place an order for 3 (all spoken for) but nothing wrong with more ;)
~$200
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

hang_510 wrote:you can get them from/pick up from DLsocal (talk to mike at JCCS)
i cracked mine showing how crappy they are :twisted:
China glass?
hang_510 wrote:OR... once i confirm with a local shop that they can really get something 'better' i will place an order for 3 (all spoken for) but nothing wrong with more ;)
~$200
Better than China glass, but not Pilkington cost? I'm confused, but interested.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

picked up my windsheild saturday night from mr vorgon, thank you thank you. as i was going over the queensburo bridge i hurd some odd cracking type sounds, that fn bridge sucks ass for bumps , i'll look in the am to see if i made it home without any cracks . :x

looked at my glass today,it made the trip home :D i think the noise i turd was some loose speaker wire flap'n a round. :|
Last edited by butters68 on 12 Sep 2010 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks to evreyone that grabbed their glass yesterday! keep that money coming, as I laid out $3,000+ for that glass.
Chad was the first to crack the crate with me. Right off the bat you can see it is way stiffer than the Chineese glass, the laminate looks thicker. It does have the DOT etched into the corner also, should that ever be a concern.

Also: I HAVE 1 WINDSHIELD LEFT, SO, NOW IS THE TIME TO GRAB YOUR SPARE. I DO WANT TO SELL IT LOCALLY, AS I DON'T WANT TO RISK THE SHIPPING ISSUE/HASSLE, SIMPLE AS THAT. $368.00 GETS YOU ONE.

Keith Law
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

I did make it home safely with the glass intact even though some guy tried to blocked me from merging onto the Hwy. He sped up and pushed me closer to the cement barriers even though his left lane was clear. Having the glass in the car I finally had to slow and pull in behind him. Passed him soon after and it looked to me like this guy was in some kind of zombie trance. I just love driving in the big city some times. :evil:

The windshield looks great. I think we all should give Keith a big hand for spending his time and money arranging this group buy as well as picking the glass up for everyone. Thanks Keith. :)

Chad
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Keith,

I’m in Halifax this week for work, but I’ll be home this weekend. I’ll get you the $$$ Saturday, I’m in no hurry to pick them up but I want to get you your money – thanks for fronting this deal.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks Byron, that would be good.

The windshields are in a nice box with cardboard separators. When everyone has picked up theirs, I am going to put both my old one and my new one in the box, and put it up on my storage deck at work. That way, they are out of HARMS way by anybody!!!!!

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Just going to bump this up occasionally, I have 1 windshield left for sale, at our cost of $368.00. Local only.

Keith Law
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

who has installed it??? :mrgreen:

feedback on fitment
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.