Chinese made aftermarket windshields

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
rnorrish

Re: Chinese made aftermarket windshields

Post by rnorrish »

bertvorgon wrote:Just going to bump this up occasionally, I have 1 windshield left for sale, at our cost of $368.00. Local only.

I'll talk to Dad, Keith, and see if we can put it in our "stock". haha!

I know the race car one is cracked. But maybe I should see if there's a firesale on one of the cheap one's instead. :lol:
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Last windshield is sold !

Thanks to all.

Now..if I can figure out how to make some money on the next batch.......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Post by 510rob »

...surface for air. Keith, I will call you tomorrow morning. back into books...
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I was back dragging my driveway to level it out, when I pinched a rock with the tractor bucket which shot right through my windshield.
Anyone on the East Coast looking for a Pilkington replacement also?
I just got off the phone with the hub in Massachusetts who said they don't sell to the public, only to glass shops. Were you guys able to get past this with the large group order? If not, I would love the contact info.

*EDIT: Well after a little digging and calling a different Pilkington office and posing as a guy who owned an auto repair shop, I talked to a nice lady who said that it was part #204 and would be handled through "Pilkington Classics". A google search turned up their number in Ohio. They have them in stock for $350 plus $110 shipping and just need a commercial address accessible for a semi and could be delivered any time. I am going to pull the trigger, so if there is anyone in the N.E. are who want's one just shoot me a pm or post here...you've got 24 hours, starting....now!
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Call Richard Tankel at ProSource Glass in North Andover, MA.

Richard Tankel, Owner
Prosource Glass International
P.O. Box 996
Andover, MA 01810

Toll Free: 877-345-2800 U.S & Canada
Tel: 978-975-5400
Fax: 978-975-5300

email: info@prosourceglassintl.com
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Thanks for that Dave, I knew that I remembered reading that you drove down to Mass to pick them up. I'll give him a call in the a.m..
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I just got off the phone with Richard, he said they carry just the Chinese made KY(G?) in stock, is that what you got from him? $140 is a good price but I am worried that you get what you pay for.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

I bought a Chinese one from him a few years ago. It fit well,but the quality is not the same as stock or Pilkington glass. I find that it pits and chips very easily. I have a new Pilkington one as a spare for when this one gets broken.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Thanks, from the other comments here, I think I will just pay 3x for the Pilkington...don't want to d this again for a while.
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

Called Plinkington classics today and was told I have to "pay tax because of the president"
The guy was a real Prick.They don't have a physical building in my state Arizona
not sure they can get away with charging me tax when there building is in Ohio??
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

HA! It is not "because of the President", that dude has an ax to grind :lol:

Pilkington division of NIPPON Glass manufactures glass in various plants around the world.

They have a distribution center in Phoenix which the tax folks would call a business "nexus".

They would be required to register with Arizona and collect tax from any Arizona customers.

We get screwed in California because they have a float plant out in Lanthrop, CA!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

It's not like there's a law requiring everyone to report their use tax for the year to the state for all that stuff we don't get taxed on by out-of-state ordering...right?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

okayfine wrote:It's not like there's a law requiring everyone to report their use tax for the year to the state for all that stuff we don't get taxed on by out-of-state ordering...right?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Of course we all fill out the use tax form every year and report all our internet purchases as well. 8) It would probably balance the budget if we did :lol:
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Not saying we all do, you understand, just saying that someone shouldn't complain about having to pay tax when they should be doing so anyway.

Oh, and:
two_68_510s wrote:They have a distribution center in Phoenix which the tax folks would call a business "nexus".
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
anguso

Post by anguso »

Reopening this thread after a few years; I'm interested to hear any feedback from those who installed the Pilkington #204 windshield.

I'm in need of a new screen for my '71 2-door, and I'm leaning heavily towards the Pilkington. I spoke to Rich at Pilkington Classics yesterday; the price is $305 for the screen, and $150 shipped in a crate that will fit 5 screens to a commercial address.

If the feedback from you guys is good (and it'd need to be terrible feedback to make me consider the Chinese screen), I'll be buying one (and maybe a spare) and having it shipped to Vista, CA. I'd be happy to help out anyone who would like to defray the shipping costs by sharing the crate with me.

I'll be pulling the trigger on the purchase in the next two weeks or so.

Thanks!