Hood chrome removal, headlight chrome

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
goatee
Supporter

Hood chrome removal, headlight chrome

Post by goatee »

The front strip of chrome on my hood recently started vibrating like crazy. I've looked at it a bit and I'm afraid I'm going to snap something off trying to fix it. Does it just pop off?
Also my chrome just to the left of the drivers headlight is a problem. This is the piece that is curved and attached to the fender. I have some questionable fiberglass front fenders (im sure they'd be fine with some love) and the top screw hole won't hold a screw in it. What do you guys suggest? Take the fender off, fix that area and once it dries put a self tapping screw in there? That looks like what was done originally but either vibration or thin fiberglass in that area has worked the screw out. This also vibrates pretty good and I've also caught it on my pant leg walking by a couple times and I'm afraid its going to get broken or really really bent.
And one more questoin. My headlight bezels (not the ring the flat stuff) has some surface rust. Those aren't actually chrome are they? I'd like to just clean the surface rust, rough them up with some 400 grit and spray them black will that work?
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Hood chrome removal, headlight chrome

Post by okayfine »

goatee wrote:The front strip of chrome on my hood recently started vibrating like crazy. I've looked at it a bit and I'm afraid I'm going to snap something off trying to fix it. Does it just pop off?
It's stainless, actually, and attached by five or six screws though the backside of the front lip of the hood.
goatee wrote:That looks like what was done originally but either vibration or thin fiberglass in that area has worked the screw out.
Can you replace the screw and secure it? Maybe with a slightly larger screw, or one with some RTV or such on it to act as a sort of glue? I mean, if you're good with fiberglass, give the true repair a shot, but you can still use a screw there, it's not any sort of structural area.
goatee wrote:My headlight bezels (not the ring the flat stuff) has some surface rust. Those aren't actually chrome are they? I'd like to just clean the surface rust, rough them up with some 400 grit and spray them black will that work?
Those actually are chromed stamped steel. Blackout will work fine if you want to sand 'em down some, but they'll never be shiny again.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Cool thanks for all that info. If the front has screw then I'll bet I lost one as much as it's rattling.

I'm not so sure a bigger screw will work but I'm going to try this weekend hopefully anyway.

They won't ever been shiny again anyway right? Or could you polish them up?
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

goatee wrote:They won't ever been shiny again anyway right? Or could you polish them up?
The stainless trim will polish right up. The chrome bezels won't shine again if you sand off the rust, at least until you chrome 'em again.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
James

Post by James »

I would try and polish up the bezels - naval jelly or similar - it might get you pretty close.

One thing to note: - the hood trim - KEEP THE SCREWS - or use something EXACTLY the same size - anything longer and you will put a nice dimple in your trim piece.

With the fiberglass - I would get some wax paper and form up a quick repair with some resin (the wax paper won't stick to the resin as it get hard - then you could re-drill it (running a screw without the hole drill may blow out the repair. Its super easy - done it many times on surfboards...
Finished is better than perfect......
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Cool I will try both of those suggestions, thanks guys!
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

I'm nowhere near a 510 at the moment, so this might be useless as I can't envision if there is room or not, but you should probably put some kind of caged nut in/clipped to the fender to hold any kind of screw. You can get the simple sheetmetal kind or a more true-to-the-name caged nut, or even a t-nut or embedded style nut like you'll find in plastic products, or maybe tap the fiberglass and use a helicoil style nut.
I'm your huckleberry.
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

For now I put a pretty large screw in it. After disassembling some of that area a lot of that corner is pretty thing so I'm going to see if local guy can build it up for me sometime. Ialso need to take take trim piece out and lightly bend it out as right now it really pulls against that screw hard because of the times I've caught it walking by.
Hard to explain.
The screws in the hood trim are half missing. I also noticed some were phillips and some were flathead so they aren't original already it seems. Going to take a couple more out and see if any of the places around here can get me some just like them.
James

Post by James »

The original screws were the roundhead - phillips. Get stainless steel if you can.
Finished is better than perfect......
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I never found a screw for the hood trim that did not need to have the tip filed off to prevent it from dimmpling the trim. be careful
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Thanks, I'll sure try!
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

I found some screws at a company up here in Canada called Fastenall.I think they are in the states too.They work great on the hood trim.They are 6x14 2 Type A sheet metal screws.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

RONSLYCHUK wrote:I found some screws at a company up here in Canada called Fastenall.I think they are in the states too.They work great on the hood trim.They are 6x14 2 Type A sheet metal screws.
Yes, fastenal is in the states.
I'm your huckleberry.
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Spent some time on their site and didn't find them listed that way. I emailed them and I'll let you know what I find. The trim on the left hand side is vibrating at anything under 1000 rpms and driving me crazy. :D I also need to replace the screws in the cowl as currently I have sort of a mish mash and some are rusty looking.