Stereo Install Time!

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
oaklandsyd

Stereo Install Time!

Post by oaklandsyd » 21 Feb 2010 15:50

KA is running *fingerscrossed*, so I'm finally on to the fun parts.

How do you guys mount your Stereo head units into the standard 510 console? My last dime had a standard JVC, but I can't recall for the life of me how it actually hooked into the dash.

My current 510 has the orig. AM mono set up, and there is about 5" of depth to fit a new head unit (which generally run about 7")

Are you guys modifying the dash with some spacers to account for the depth?

Any ideas will help. I'm thinking a vacuu-form machine might be fun to have for this project!

PS. there will be no 'hidden' receivers, no amps. No glove box or under seat remedies. I've got no room but the stock locations & I'm dead set on the Head Unit + 2 speakers combo.

Will provide pics on request.

tycot1
Supporter

Re: Stereo Install Time!

Post by tycot1 » 21 Feb 2010 16:03

i have never had a problem fitting in any single din head unit. the wiring should be right there with the exception of an ignition wire i think. even if it isnt there all you need is a clean ground, a full time power source for memory (there is a radio fuse at the fuse box, follow it to your dash), and an ignition wire at your steering column. put your test light into a wire that provides you with power when the key is in the accessory position, as well as the on position, and of course when the car is actually running too. i think the wire is white with a red stripe. dont use those two wire clip on things as they lead to future problems, the end up breaking the wire. take that radio panel off and cut it from the back side, there should be enough space for any head with the exception of a harness issue or rca's getting in the way. good luck.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.

oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd » 21 Feb 2010 16:32

I made a miss measure... i actuall have 6.25" of space, so I need a kick out from a spacer of about .25"-.5".. Not nearly as dramatic as I thought!

Thanks for the info. My next question was wiring.

Does anyone run a relay to the stereo? My last one ran off the Lighter positive, but this 510 doesn't have a lighter. It looks like I've got two Light Blue wires that are unoccupied, guess I'll check those and see what their deal is.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 22 Feb 2010 07:54

oaklandsyd wrote:Does anyone run a relay to the stereo? My last one ran off the Lighter positive, but this 510 doesn't have a lighter. It looks like I've got two Light Blue wires that are unoccupied, guess I'll check those and see what their deal is.
Don't rig it, do it right. Imagine how much you'd hate it if you bought a car with a hacked-in radio setup. You have an AM radio that already has switched power to it. Follow Tyson's advice WRT the memory backup source and what else do you need besides a ground?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

James

Post by James » 22 Feb 2010 08:19

I once made a spacer out of black styrene - which was about 1/4" thick. I beveled it back so the front of the spacer met the surround nicely and you could never tell.
Finished is better than perfect......

Rheis

Post by Rheis » 22 Feb 2010 09:15

I bought a cut din because I didnt want to cut my nice orginal one ... I also used the original radio mounting brackets and screws by drilling some new holes in the brackets. On my other car I bent some up out of scrap
tycot1 wrote: dont use those two wire clip on things as they lead to future problems, the end up breaking the wire.
do you mean the crimp style wire splicers or taps

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 » 22 Feb 2010 09:35

oaklandsyd wrote:Does anyone run a relay to the stereo?

It looks like I've got two Light Blue wires that are unoccupied, guess I'll check those and see what their deal is.
double check!!! but i think those are the correct wires for constant power.

youll be fine w/o a relay for this setup.

i hate those taps!!! :evil:
learn to solder!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.