Door hinges

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
MtnGoat

Door hinges

Post by MtnGoat »

Yup, the drivers door of the Deathmobile is exhibiting the worn out hinges sag so I am continually fussing with hinges and striker to get it to shut. Can we still get hinges or is there a simple way to bush them or..what's the deal on this issue and what are folks doing?
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: Door hinges

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

I got some new bushings and pins at NAPA #675 5157.
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

dang that was fast..thanks! I'll hit napa on the way home.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Thanks for the link, that's helpful.

I stopped in at NAPA on the way to work this morning, the part number Ronslychuk gave is correct and I'll pick it up on the way home.
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Well the R&R went pretty well, the hinge pins suggested were the correct ones. Driving the 40 year old ones out was much tougher than I thought...I should have been soaking them with penetrating oil for a couple days prior. However they finally came out aided by one of the hints in the one of the links..set the hinge in the vise with a large nut supporting it from the bottom. This allows more energy transfer from the hammer without the whole works shifting in the vise and the pin can still slide down into the hole in the supporting nut.

I did have to cut off both ends of the pin for the upper hinge as shown in the link, it interferes with installation of the bolts to hold the hinge to the door.

I'd forgotten what a PITA messing with doors is, and the front door even more fun since you're on your knees leaning over the sill while trying to reach under the dash for the top hinge, and boy were those bolts rusty!

So now the door does not sag at all and feels tight on the hinge. My last remaining problem is either my striker plate alignment, the plate worn itself from years of being hit off center from a sagging door, or something worn in the locking mechanism.

I think I have it lined up correctly, the door hits the right spot when it shuts and catches, but it does not go all the way. I have to push on it a bit to get the final 'click' which will allow you to lock it.
iceD

Post by iceD »

Lordco part # 38397

ice D