510 Fuel Level Sending Unit - Substitute 240Z Part?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: 510 Fuel Level Sending Unit - Substitute 240Z Part?

Post by Three B's Racing »

I replaced the O-Ring and clasp for the sender in my 510 this past April. My fuel gauge has always been a bit off? So when I had the sender out I drained the tank and put in exactly two gallons of fuel and replaced the sender. I didn't like it's position with two gallons in the tank (below the empty line) so I removed the sender and adjusted the float (bent the arm) and replaced it until the needle with two gallons of fuel was sitting right on the empty mark. My first refueling while traveling to Maryland to hang with Qwik510 and BRE510 before heading to Summit Point the next day saw 11 gallons put in the tank. I've never seen 11 gallons at the pump for my 510 and yes the fuel needle was just below the empty red line very cool. Oh ya got 30.6mpg with the S14 SR20DE at avg 65mph, naturally going over the Shannadoah Mountain rage saw 85 to 100mph. The SR loves flattening hills and stretching it's leggs.

Lou
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
D52E
Supporter

Post by D52E »

Fueled up today - so far its doing well. Needle was just barely under the empty mark. I was able to get 10.6 gallons in the tank when the pump stopped.

Edit: needle was still partially covering the empty mark and not under it.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks for the update. I still plan to see if I can get my gauge cluster out, and fix mine.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
housew

Post by housew »

D52E wrote:Fueled up today - so far its doing well. Needle was just barely under the empty mark. I was able to get 10.6 gallons in the tank when the pump stopped.

Edit: needle was still partially covering the empty mark and not under it.

super cool, so all you did was buy the 25060-e4100 part, shorten the rod to 8" and install?

my sending unit is junk (open loop / no connection when i test it) so I need to replace it (or take it out and try to make it function by cleaning. sourcing the 240 unit seems a lot easier. You just run a ground wire to the other terminal and its good to go eh?