Fuel line, brake lines - originally painted?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
J.T.L.
Supporter

Fuel line, brake lines - originally painted?

Post by J.T.L. » 10 Mar 2013 12:03

Cleaning up my original fuel/brake lines. Wondering if when new they were painted, bare metal (aluminum color), cad (gold), or other? I'm trying for a mostly stock look on this car.

Thanks!
-J.T.
72 PL510 4door Blue#645/White "Ellie"
72 PL510 2door BambooTan/White

bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Fuel line, brake lines - originally painted?

Post by bertvorgon » 10 Mar 2013 12:07

Mine on my 73 were bare metal, kinda steely/cad looking.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 10 Mar 2013 22:59

They were cad plated gold originally. I have a few photos of NOS lines in my Greg Terry Memorial thread for reference.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 » 26 Mar 2013 22:08

Started touching mine during my EFI upgrade...........can you say rotten ! Leaked in three places, ended up replacing both the feed and return. Mental note.............if they look rusty and corroded.............they are Garbage !

J.T.L.
Supporter

Post by J.T.L. » 17 Dec 2013 19:58

Since I had the underside of the car blasted and painted, I didn't want to just bolt the ugly old brake/fuel hard lines back on without refreshing them a bit. I took an afternoon and went over them with scotch-brite abrasive pads and CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) Remover and they came out looking not too bad. But I think I have stripped off not only the ugly corrosion but also the stock plating which, I assume, provided some corrosion protection?

Any suggestions on what to do with them before I put them back on (if anything) to keep them looking good and functional for the longest amount of time? Not that it makes much difference, but I prefer the silver/aluminum look over the original gold cad.
-Leave them as-is (bare metal?), weekend driver kept in garage they won't get too bad?
-Paint?
-Epoxy primer?
-Clear coat?
-other?
-not worth the additional effort, just buy a new set of hard lines to get a new, shiny-er and modern anti-corrosion finish?

Thanks!
J.T.
72 PL510 4door Blue#645/White "Ellie"
72 PL510 2door BambooTan/White

sss1600

Post by sss1600 » 21 Dec 2013 02:31

"-not worth the additional effort, just buy a new set of hard lines to get a new, shiny-er and modern anti-corrosion finish?"

While the oem lines are out. Buy a new tube flaring kit, a cheap tube bender and some lengths of new fuel bundy (annealed?) tube. Copy the bends of the original and renew it all. Will be a better finish and last longer. Replace all fuel hoses and hose clamps at either end of the tube(s) also...

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 21 Dec 2013 06:13

I would agree with 1600sss, but I have already made the in investment in a good (read $$$) tool. A cheap flaring tool only causes you major grief. If you choose to change the lines, make sure you by a good flaring tool. Also make sure you have a source for new tube nuts. Locally I know I don't, and I usually end up buying short sections of pre flared tubing just to cut the tube nuts off of because these are a better quality and the correct size to match out original parts.
If the lines are truly good, here is no need to change them. You'll have to make that call first. If the lines have any rust however, get now really is the time to change them out.
If you are proceeding to reuse the lines, remaining them is no worry. Recently I have painted quite a few new brake lines which I have installed because the lines themselves have a poly vinyl coating and are green in colour - not exactly stock looking. I have used a combination of rattle can gold and silver (chrome) spray paint to mimic the original cad plated finish. After some playing around ig does look pretty good.
For the purpose, rattle can spray paint works fine. Any primer is always a good idea on metal to prep the surface. Avoid the really fast drying paint is you want something durable. I love the Krylon fast dry paint for finishing touches because it dries so fast and leaves a shiny smooth finish, but it's not very durable for under car purposes.

My thoughts start any rate. Post your results when your done.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.