Bleeding dual master cylinder assy., Tilton

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
S15DET
Supporter

Bleeding dual master cylinder assy., Tilton

Post by S15DET »

Last night I made the mistake of sucking in air into my rear circuit while using a vacuum bleeder. Dumb a$$, I know.

Now the front circuit is still firm, but the rear is spongy. With the front firm, there isn't enough travel before the balance bar locks to really push air out of the rear circuit. I tried pressure bleeding, no luck. I guess I need to bleed the front and rear at the same time using the pedal method so that both master cylinders move? I fear that the air is trapped in the feed line between the reservoir and the MC, if this is the case I doubt that pedal bleeding will work either. Any tips on bleeding a dual MC pedal assy.?
510wizard
Supporter

Re: Bleeding dual master cylinder assy., Tilton

Post by 510wizard »

Have tried reverse fluid injection from the wheel cylinders? It works great, using the "law of physics" air raises in fluid.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

IN the caliper bleeder and OUT the bleeder on the MC, or all the way out to the reservoir?
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

All the way to the reservoir, remove some fluid from the reservoir, then push fluid from the bleed screws. Air raises to the top of the system into the reservoir. After you bleed each cylinder, remove the bleed tool, (I use the Phoenix V12), and yet the wheel cylinder burp, then close the bleed screw.
I love the Phoenix V12, a very versatile tool, you can pressure bleed, vacuum bleed or reverse fluid bleed with the one tool. It's a little pricey($80), for a thing made of plastic, but it works well.
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

you could also move the balance bar all the way over to the rear, and then once your done bleeding, just put it back to normal.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I like the reverse idea.

I tried my pressure bleeder one last try Friday afternoon since it doesn't involve the pedals. At first there was just clear fluid and dissapointment. THEN, I unbolted the caliper and tilted it slightly to make it vertical and a big bubble burped out. Same on the other side and the problem was sloved, firm pedal. It was the caliper angle all along, go tto get that bleeder to the top, what a bonehead move. I did that last time, just got lazy this time.