Door issue

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
JDMonster
Supporter

Door issue

Post by JDMonster »

Recently my passenger door doesn't want to stay closed. I slam it hard and then it pops open a little. It stops and the second patch and doesn't come open but is not closed completely. Anything I should look at first to remedy the problem?
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: Door issue

Post by two_68_510s »

Wear on hinge bushings , try lifting the door from the outboard end. You can see the play in the hinge that way.
Wear on strike plate, or out of adjustment strike plate.
Wear on latch mechanism in door?
Gremlins from the Kremlin?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

Thought i would post on this instead of creating a new post.....

My driver and passenger doors will not stay closed unless i slam them. The hinges are good I have chekced them So that is either the latch on the door sill or the mechanism on the door. I have seem the srtyker on the door sill on ebay but cant seem to find the part that is on the door. Any one know if a 240/260/280 mechanism will work or wher to pick up the 510 ones?

Thanks
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

BlackWidow wrote:Thought i would post on this instead of creating a new post.....

My driver and passenger doors will not stay closed unless i slam them. The hinges are good I have chekced them So that is either the latch on the door sill or the mechanism on the door. I have seem the srtyker on the door sill on ebay but cant seem to find the part that is on the door. Any one know if a 240/260/280 mechanism will work or wher to pick up the 510 ones?

Thanks
Make sure your latches are lubed well. I rebuilt my hinges on my wagon. Realigned the door and striker and everything was great. For about a week. Then I had to start slamming the door again. I figured I must have not gotten a bolt or 2 tight enough and went through the realignment process again. Everything was fine for a day or 2. Asked a 240z friend about it. He said to make sure the latch was lubed. So I lubed it. The doors close easy now. That was 4 months ago.

Just a thought based on my own experience.

YMMV
---Yeah, I said what I said.
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

Awesome thanks for the reply..... What did you use?
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

BlackWidow wrote:Awesome thanks for the reply..... What did you use?
I think all I had at the time was, don't laugh now...., WD40. But I'm drawing a blank right now. Probably not the best but hey, it worked.
---Yeah, I said what I said.
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

LOL that's cool I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks again.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Chadsinto510s wrote:
BlackWidow wrote:Awesome thanks for the reply..... What did you use?
I think all I had at the time was, don't laugh now...., WD40. But I'm drawing a blank right now. Probably not the best but hey, it worked.
When I went through my 510 I took apart cleaned and lubed the doors latches with RedLine grease. This was in `97 and today my doors still close easily and sound as solid as a new car door. But that's another matter in properly placed door weather seal.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

They are working much better with some Wd40 But i plan on taking them out and cleaning them I will look into the redline product. Thanks