510 Headlight Options

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
HAM8URGER

510 Headlight Options

Post by HAM8URGER »

I'm new to Datsuns and was curious if you guys could give me some suggestions and/or opinions on what some of the good headlight upgrades are. Pics will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 510 Headlight Options

Post by okayfine »

As always, it depends on what you want. Gotta be pretty dark in hell, I suspect. Just looking for something better than 35w sealed-beam OEM lights? Projectors? HID-happy reflectors? Ultimate night vision?

Most common is probably still the BMW projector upgrade. Documented in DQ Volume 2 Issue 2 - Installing BMW Projector Style Lights - Got lights? Are your halogen lights not bright enough? Outshine the sun with an upgrade to BMW projector-style headlights.

Some of the Canadia guys run high-watt/aircraft landing lights. Look like normal lights when off, but 100watt+ when lit.

E-code H4 housings would also be a nice upgrade. I'd only look at brand name H4 housings (Hella, Bosch, etc.), the cheap H4 housings may have no real focus, so no matter how low you adjust them you still get flashed. BTDT.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
HAM8URGER

Post by HAM8URGER »

do people usually just upgrade the high beams and leave the stock lows?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Decide how much you really need your high beams.

I have upgraded both the low/high beam lens and bulb, to H4 Bosch....That lets you get away with the stock wiring.

Same with the high beam lens.but, 100Watt bulb

The better lens and quartz bulb will give you way better light right off the bat, then take time to set them up properly.

It's very rare, even with all the drives we do, that I ever need my high beam(s)

or, upgrade the wiring and go with the rally bulbs and good lenses, that will give you some fearsome light spread, and a nice white light.

Byron can speak to that, he has done some nice setups.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
HAM8URGER

Post by HAM8URGER »

bertvorgon wrote:Decide how much you really need your high beams.

I have upgraded both the low/high beam lens and bulb, to H4 Bosch....That lets you get away with the stock wiring.

Same with the high beam lens.but, 100Watt bulb

The better lens and quartz bulb will give you way better light right off the bat, then take time to set them up properly.

It's very rare, even with all the drives we do, that I ever need my high beam(s)

or, upgrade the wiring and go with the rally bulbs and good lenses, that will give you some fearsome light spread, and a nice white light.

Byron can speak to that, he has done some nice setups.
On the stock wiring is your H4 Bosch upgrade noticeably brighter than stock?

Happen to have part numbers for the lenses and bulbs you put in?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

My mistake, I was thinking of my old Toyota GTS.

I put Hella lights in.....I found this link for you

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002850811

Yes, even with the stock wiring, which is in good shape in terms of no corrosion and good grounding ( very important on our 510's), the light quality is better, let alone the better lens.

I still want to upgrade my wiring as per Byron, then I can run the 80/100 watt bulbs. The 80 watt will be way better than the 55 for the low beam filiment.

Hope that helps,
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
HAM8URGER

Post by HAM8URGER »

does byron have a write up on the wiring?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Stock wiring is fine, but the circuit sucks. OEM Toshiba sealed beam bulbs were in the 35w range, and for the stock headlight circuit this is fine. But even upgrading to stock 55w H4 bulbs can prove troublesome. This is because Datsun routes all headlight power through the headlight switch. Over time that switch will get hot, perhaps hot enough to melt solder in the switch wire connections, but in any case creating big resistance and lower power at the lights.

IMO any upgrade of the stock headlights should include a relay harness. You can buy H4 relay harness that will PnP with the stock wiring, so you don't have to cut the stock wiring. Or you can build your own: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=26144

In my experience most people upgrade at least the lows. I've never had to upgrade the highs as I never use them in SoCal.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

I found these for you too. A bit cheaper than Summit and a couple other options. YMMV.

http://classicgarage.com/hel534rounh4.html
---Yeah, I said what I said.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

that's why I said if your electrical is in good shape, I have had NO problem with my lights/relays, and I have had my car since 1978

Keith Law
HAM8URGER

Post by HAM8URGER »

yeah i live in the rural midwest (lots of deer at night) so ill use the brights frequently
HAM8URGER

Post by HAM8URGER »

okayfine wrote:Stock wiring is fine, but the circuit sucks. OEM Toshiba sealed beam bulbs were in the 35w range, and for the stock headlight circuit this is fine. But even upgrading to stock 55w H4 bulbs can prove troublesome. This is because Datsun routes all headlight power through the headlight switch. Over time that switch will get hot, perhaps hot enough to melt solder in the switch wire connections, but in any case creating big resistance and lower power at the lights.

IMO any upgrade of the stock headlights should include a relay harness. You can buy H4 relay harness that will PnP with the stock wiring, so you don't have to cut the stock wiring. Or you can build your own: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=26144

In my experience most people upgrade at least the lows. I've never had to upgrade the highs as I never use them in SoCal.
Im not finding these PnP harness' you speak of. Any idea where to get them?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I have used something similar to these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-Relay ... 54008ef662

Can't find the ones I got but these look ok too.

Or Dapper Lighting is making Projector headlights.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... ng#p210357
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

I rewired my lights to use relays drawing the lamp power direct from the back of the alternator. Made for some bright lights even with sealed high beams.

I couldn't tell you exactly how the wiring circuitry went, but going from memory on the high beam, the power was fed to the "signal" side of the relay and the dimmer switch grounds the circuit to throw the relay.

Here is a diagram (Paolo's) showing the circuitry.

Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
HAM8URGER

Post by HAM8URGER »

Thanks Dave!