510 Headlight Options

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
JordanTr

Re: 510 Headlight Options

Post by JordanTr »

'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Hamb, I think okayfine meant a "Plug-n-Play" harness.......an additional off-the-shelf harness (available thru one of the other posted links) that you plug into the plastic plug of the existing main wiring harness, that would normally plug right into the old sealed beam. This harness would have a relay wired in, and it would then plug into whatever Halogen bulb/lense you decide to purchase (again, available thru posted links). But as BV pointed out, the original system MUST be in near perfect working order to begin with, so go thru the whole system end-to-end.......get one of Paolo's schematics (as shown by Dave) or a Haynes Manual schematic. Us older guys LOVE Paolo's blown up & laminated schematics!! :roll:

The other option is to cut into your existing main wiring harness, and "hard wire" a new extension in, including a relay, then plug that into whatever Halogen bulb/lense you decide to purchase.

Hey, I remember the Michigan deer well, but I just drove past a nice clean Toyota pickup sitting on the side of the road with the right front caved in, and a dead Elk a couple hundred feet down the road! Dem Elks is BIG!!! :shock:
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

There is a really good article in one of the DQ issues that gives directions on building your own upgraded harness. Its fairly easy to do and yields great results. I have done light harness upgrades on all my old vehicles. The older vehicles just were not designed to handle higher wattage bulbs...and by now usually have deteriorated wiring, connections, and contacts. By using a beefier harness to carry the load of a higher amp consumer ( high watt lights ), and using the stock harness/switch to activate the new relays you isolate and protect the original harness/switch from overload, melting, or worse. One of the best parts of using the DQ directions is that it doesn't require cutting into your original harness...you merely pickup the signal to switch the upgraded relays from either of the low beam lamp sockets.

There is a slight error in the wiring directions in the article however, which is easily rectified. I will post the fix as well as some pictures of my setup in the morning.
HAM8URGER

Post by HAM8URGER »

Ok I think Iv'e got it now. Thanks guys!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Speaking of headlight upgrades, check out this article. It's very well written and it's obviously aimed at the lower quality products out there. But it is very informative if you are going to go to a true HID set up.

Grab a coffee/tea or what ever settles you down, and read this great info;

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... sions.html

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ABM

Post by ABM »

im thinking of going with the aircraft landing lights for the high-beam bulbs do i need to run a certain bulb or do i need a ballast to get the right amount of power?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You might want to research what "aircraft landing lights" are, which should answer your questions.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

There was once an art piece at LA County Art Museum, circa 1969.

It consisted of an entire wall covered with landing lights 25 feet wide and 10 feet tall. Th opposite wall was covered with large mirrors. Everyone just stood around on the floor.

The experience consisted of standing still and holding your eyes still in your head, eyes open.

Then they fired all the lights in the the wall simultaneously. First of all it made a huge thump sound when the contacts made.
Then you were completely blinded, but had a perfect high detail full color reverse image of the room and people on your eyeball!
As soon as you moved your eyes it was erased, "very trippy". You could move your head, and the image would persist, as long as your eyes didn't move in their sockets
My point of this story is obvious, I would be very, surprised if you could use the lights I saw on a car, no control of beam, way too bright, color would draw attention..
Not to mention the power necessary, yikes! I could be wrong, maybe there are small ones or something.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
ABM

Post by ABM »

sorry i meant taxi lights like these
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... glites.php
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I used to run a 100 watt light landing light, but, it was mounted separately, NOT in the 510 stock wiring.

running a 100 watt light could/would be a problem with the stock wiring.

The landing light was great for back roads and high speed highway driving in the country, a long beam with a fairly wide spread.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Glad to help if I can. A good reference/start is this guy's site: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... sions.html You may have read it already, but the tech section has good info.

With my car I added (2) relays to the headlight system. One for the high beams and one for the lows. If you are familiar with DQ (Dime Quarterly), Julian (Okayfine) wrote an article (DQ3-1) detailing how he upgraded his lights. I followed this wiring setup with one exception. There is an error in the text. I picked up my control wires to the relays from the right side low beam light socket just as Julian suggests, however he indicates using the red/black tracer for the high beam circuit (correct), and using the red for the low beams when it should be the red/white tracer.

His article can be found online in the DQ archives...Google Groups

Hope this helps...let me know if you need any further details

Chip
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DQ 3.1 was Sebastian's work. 3.1, I was just a subscriber looking for the next mod. I still need to update that article.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Oops! sorry mate
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

I know this thread is pretty old but I purchased some sweat head lights from Dapperlighting.com. This is the only photo i have but i will upload more.
Attachments
CP5006_Front_1024x1024.png
CP5006_Front_1024x1024.png (375.76 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »