Installing Windshield - Windshield Install

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
bueiz
Supporter

Installing Windshield - Windshield Install

Post by bueiz »

Hey guys...

Do any of you have any tips on installing a windshield?

I have the weather stripping with the groove for the chrome piece.

Do I put the windshield in the gasket then install that as a unit?
Do I put the gasket on the car then install the glass on it's own working the gasket to get the glass to fit?

Where do you recommend I apply the adhesive bead?
- against the car and the gasket
- against the gasket and the windshield?

Any tips would be useful.

Thanks,
bueiz
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Installing Windshield - Windshield Install

Post by bertvorgon »

Wait till Byron posts up, he is the MASTER at this!

No Glue! gasket first, then rope glass in.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The 510's are not like the German cars, the gasket goes on the windshield, then the unit gets put in the car. The process isn't difficult. But if you go wrong you can obviously break the glass.

You need atleats one other person to assist.
You need a 5/16" tightly braieded nylon rope - not that yellow poly crap - enough to go around the windshield pluss 4 feet

I started a big write up here - and then realized video is really nessesary. So while at a 4 hour layover at Pearson here this afternoon, I found this You Tube link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ

Now the 510 is a bit more difficult, but the process is identical. The part where they explain keeping pressure on the glass is important, as is getting the glass seated downwards to sit in the rubber.

Like the video, I have never used sealant, it should not be necessary - the factory didn't think it was necessary either. Sealant is used by lazy slackers who don't clean both surfaces properly, and sealant is often used in glass shops because production matters and - see the slackers comment above! I've never had a windshield leak and I have done dozens of 510 windshields alone.

What is not mentioned in this particular video is the importance of centering the rubber on the glass, and centering the glass in the car. Both are nearly impossible to do once you start seating the rubber. The Chev truck in the vid clip is really strait forward because the glass is flat and all the edges are really accessible. The front 510 glass is not so. The dash is below, and believe it or not those top sharp 90 degree bends are really hard to work around. Take your time, be gentle with the cord and it's very do-able.

Make sure you start installation at the bottom, I’ve seen them broke by guys starting at the top – besides your working against gravity, and why would you make life harder on yourself?

I won’t say it’s easy – or Rob’s favorite saying – “All you have to do is just…’. But it’s certainly do-able by the average guy. Take your time, make sure the channel and glass are SPOTLESS and you’re good to go. No lubricants are necessary as they can affect the seal. And no sealant is necessary of the rubber and glass are centered on the windshield and respective to the car.

Hope that helps, if you were closer, I’d offer to help.

BTW – good to see you back – what ever became of the Katrina car?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It's funny you asked about the Katrina car...last week i was talking with someone about water/mold damage, and I thought of Buez's car. I really remember the pictures you posted up of your place, just amazing the damage...and the mold....

Fill us in.....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Are the window gaskets re-usable? Mine is about 10 years old from OZ and still looks like it's good. I have to replace my windshield so was wondering about the above steps in reverse if one could reuse the seal.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi John,

Your car has likely always been inside, so that really helps preserve the rubber - rubber is really effected by UV.

If it's soft, then it's reusabe - regardless of age.

Byron
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

Guys, always to the rescue with your fountain of knowledge!

So, the Katrina wagon was "donated". A 510'er about 3-hrs away had a wagon that needed some panels replaced so he took it off of my hands. Shoot, that was about 6 or 7 years ago. Time flies.

I did get into another wagon a while ago. I had my main ride stolen just before the holidays so I'm taking the opportunity to get the wagon rolling. Working on a suspension rebuild/upgrade and brakes upgrade. Slowly but surely.

Back to the windshield...
So, I was unfortunately in the middle of installing the windshield when I wrote this post. That being said, I cracked my 1st windshield! Ha. Good news is, I have someone who can source me another. It works out because the film between the panes of the windshield wasn't in very good condition; definitely cloudy. So I'll get to attempt another install.

Thanks for the info, Byron...it is very much appreciated. I really do wish there was more of a 510 following over here in the South. At least the Realm is definitely my No.1 go-to and I appreciate that.

I so have a question. I feel like the headliner was wrapped around the windshield gasket surface, is that not right? How does that headliner end, I assume it tucks into the gasket somehow. In an attempt to try and salvage the headliner and glued it by wrapping it up around around that windshield gasket lip. I'm guessing from Byron's write up that it wrong. I guess I'll pull off the gasket and re-clean the surfaces.

....bueiz
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Good Day Bueiz,

Your car is correct. the head liner and A pillar material does wrap around the lip. Actualy if the glue has let go, this becomes an issue because the cord utilized while instaling the glass will also pull out the headliner and it's a real PITA to get back in.

In short, yes the headliner is supposed to be wrapped in there around the pinch weld.

What needs to be removed is any urethane or sealant previously used, otherwise these bumps and ridges create an area to leak. Also caked on dirt and rust has to be cleaned out.

My guess is that you were installing a used glass which cracked on you? If so, used glass is tough, because any nick on the edges is a stress riser, and uneven pressure can easily cause it to crack. Same goes for any pitting or chips on the glass surface.
I've also installed a number of used pieces of glass over the years. I remember one job on an old Toyota truck I did many years ago in particular. The installation was completed and went smoothly with a used piece of glass, and a new gasket. I was standing with the customer right at the front of the talk about cars after the job was completed when we both heard a light "crick". Sure enough, the windshield cracked; on its own 30 minutes after the installation was finished.... explain that one! Thank god the customer was right in front of the truck and he too heard the crack. Unreal! When the glass was removed some months later, there was clearly a tiny chip right where the crack started.

So yes, I'm weary of used glass.

Byron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

If you can, try to get the PILKINGTON glass, not the Chinese stuff.

The Pilkington is thicker and I suspect just plain tougher.

Byron put my Chinese glass in a few years ago...I held my breath for 15 minutes on the install.

We now have spare Pilkington glass upstairs here, so, we can NEVER let Byron leave the lower mainland!

Keith Law
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I installed my chinese glass back in '97 and it's still in pretty good shape though it is starting to fog around the lower right and left sides. It does have pitting but then I drive the 510 from NH to WV every year, with visits to Qwik510 in MD and Keith in NC and a one time drive to Road America in 2010 to the Mitty with the Summit Point gang.

I used paracord because of it's smooth outer material and it thins some as you pull it and is strong as heck. It was smooth pulling it around the windshield with no issues. I actually took some 800 wet and dry to both the inside and outside edge of the glass perimeter to clear off any sharp edges and little chips plus that radius makes it much stronger. Did this on a suggestion from a guys at work who runs a glass business on the side.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That is good to hear, your highways must be pretty clean.

Byron and I had major pitting after the first summer of driving, but, our drives took us through mountain passes that had the tail end of winter sanding.

Mine is hanging in there, but, there is no way it will be as good as the original windshield. I will flog the Chinese one as long as possible, till it gets that horrible haze when you drive into the sun. For us, our drives have us coming back heading due WEST, right into the sun at the end of the day, which really fries the ole' eyeballs after 500 miles.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

There is only one good thing I can think of to say about the Chinese made glass that I have installed - they are cheap - and this is only good because they are too thin - and they slide into that OEM rubber realy easy!

I'm not kidding, there is a real difference between installing the tinner glass compared to the OEM or OEM standard thikness glass. On the first one I installed a few years back, I was sure it was going to leak. But I not heard of a report of that yet, so mayby it's better than I though.

Eh Keith - you should have more than one upstairs - becaue you have mine too! :?:

Byron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Windshields......WHAT spare windshields.......????/

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Three B's Racing wrote: I actually took some 800 wet and dry to both the inside and outside edge of the glass perimeter to clear off any sharp edges and little chips plus that radius makes it much stronger. Did this on a suggestion from a guys at work who runs a glass business on the side.
Lou - this is absolutely great advise Although I have generally not done this myself, I know that an old guy I worked with at the glass shop many years ago took the time on every windshield to radius the edges of the glass on the belt sander. It was an interesting belt sander rigged up vertically with a water bath at the bottom wheel so that the belt was always lubricated and cool. It is an essential tool in a proper glass shop, and did a beautiful job on the glass.

But Lou hits the point I made above, any edge is a tress riser any knick a potential problem. Glass is incredibly strong and flexible, just don't give it a reason to break and it won't and one rule of thumb is nothing sharp or hard - ever!

Byron
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Another tip. I used stranded vinyl jacketed electrical cord, 12-14awg maybe. The vinyl coating on the wire made it very slick when combined with the weak soap water solution I used for lubrication. I used the soap on a tip from someone I worked with, was this a bad idea? The combination of rubber, vinyl, soap made the windshield nearly pop into place inside the frame. I do think I have a small leak at the pass. side lower corner, can I blame the soap?