Installing Windshield - Windshield Install

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Installing Windshield - Windshield Install

Post by Three B's Racing »

bertvorgon wrote:That is good to hear, your highways must be pretty clean.

Byron and I had major pitting after the first summer of driving, but, our drives took us through mountain passes that had the tail end of winter sanding.

Mine is hanging in there, but, there is no way it will be as good as the original windshield. I will flog the Chinese one as long as possible, till it gets that horrible haze when you drive into the sun. For us, our drives have us coming back heading due WEST, right into the sun at the end of the day, which really fries the ole' eyeballs after 500 miles.
Hey Keith

Clean highways? don't really know. I mean we do have filthy sanded/salted roads in winter here and down towards Summit Point, WV, MD. But I don't drive the 510 during the winter. 510 comes out in mid April after a lot of showers that clean the roads. Roads here are probably no cleaner or dirtier than anywhere else during the months the 510 is out. Where I live in NH isn't in the mountains and the only difference between the mountains and my area is elevation. 500 miles directly into the sun through a hazed up windshield yike!!! Like skiing on a sunny day at 7k feet with no polarized glasses. Might as well look at arc welding DOH!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, you would have the same crud as we do....!

Maybe it's because we like to draft.....we do tend to get these high speed convoys going, where we might be two car lengths between us, that likely does not help.

Basically, depending on the route we have taken, we can end up doing 200 miles into the sun, with the last 100 straight on.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
wagoneer

Post by wagoneer »

Wow this is great! I recently received my 'rubber bits' from Datsport in Australia. I'm replacing all window rubber which I've never done before. Byron, if I need more advice than what you've already so kindly taken time to write down here, may I contact you? Wagoneer

Sure, Shoot me a PM here or an email at home; byron510@telus.net

Byron
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

What about replacing a broken windshield with a seemingly good gasket, can the same steps be done in reverse?
NorthPilot

Post by NorthPilot »

Interesting discussion on windshield stuff, but my problem is more basic: SOURCING! I need a new windshield for my 1980 A510 wagon. None of the glass places seem to be able to help me. Any suggestions, anyone?

Thanks
akara

Post by akara »

I'm about to buy a windshield from RockAuto for my PL510 for $240 shipped,
does anyone else know a better place to get glass?
dat5102dr

Post by dat5102dr »

chrome trim is placed after rubber is cleaned and seated with the glass before installation on the actual car ?

if so
you slide the chrome trim in
from one side?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

dat5102dr wrote:chrome trim is placed after rubber is cleaned and seated with the glass before installation on the actual car ?

if so
from one side?
Noooooo....

You'll bend the trim and cut the rubber.

With a thin and not sharp (preferably plastic) tool, you literally pull the rubber back and preposition it over the trim.

I have heard of guys recently installing the trim before placing the windshield - never tried myself, but the installation of the trim in the rubber uses the same method.

If you have old rubber, I wish you luck as the rubber needs to be quite pliable to get the trim in place. Dish soap may be your friend.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Byron510 wrote:
dat5102dr wrote:chrome trim is placed after rubber is cleaned and seated with the glass before installation on the actual car ?

if so
from one side?
Noooooo....

You'll bend the trim and cut the rubber.

With a thin and not sharp (preferably plastic) tool, you literally pull the rubber back and preposition it over the trim.

I have heard of guys recently installing the trim before placing the windshield - never tried myself, but the installation of the trim in the rubber uses the same method.

If you have old rubber, I wish you luck as the rubber needs to be quite pliable to get the trim in place. Dish soap may be your friend.

Byron
I used, you ready???? WD4O as my friend 8>) It will eventually evaporate and actually create a semi softer semi stickier sealing surface. I don't typically use WD40 for lube because of its evaporation. I like to use it for cleaning because it does have some solvent in it and won't harm plastics or paint. You can now buy it in a metal hand pump sprayer instead of the pressurized can. I drilled a hole in mine up by the handle after using it all up and have a rubber seal that goes in the hole where I can now buy a gallon of WD40 and fill the canister sweet!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
dat5102dr

Post by dat5102dr »

so it doesn't matter when the chrome is installed?
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

I always installed SS trim into rubber BEFORE install. YMMV.
Kurt
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Found the video of someone installing a rear window in there 510. Should give you a good idea of whats been already explained. Its not the greatest video but at least its on a 510

https://youtu.be/qVqml8WIHWI
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !