dat5102dr

sunroof restoration

Post by dat5102dr »

Any structural advice?

Dave Patten
Supporter

Re: sunroof restoration

Post by Dave Patten »

Welding at mid span on sheet metal usually ends up with all kinds of distortion and warping.

If this were me I would take the whole roof skin and replace it. Drill out the spot welds at the wind shield and rear window. Maybe along the gutters place the weld just below the vertical to horizontal crease.

Tyson is the roof magician, maybe he can chime in.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Wow, that's not going to be a fun project. I apologize for whomever cut the hole in the first place.

Perchance was your donor roof removed at the (leaded) seams?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What is the appeal of a sun roof? A place to leak water, or ruin the look of a car?
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
dat5102dr

Post by dat5102dr »

leaded seams??
i cant grasp?
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

the leaded seams are where the roof and pillars are spot welded to the chassis, then lead filler is used to smooth over the connection.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yep, melt the lead out, drill the spot welds and it shouldn't be quite as much work to get the new piece back on relatively straight.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

DSC08395_zps4c503b00.jpg
DSC08395_zps4c503b00.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
the grey, not rusty part
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

There is a picture of the c-pillar seam somewhere here, but I can't find it. It is much lower down. I'd forgotten how high up the a-pillar seam is.
dat5102dr

Post by dat5102dr »

so in the end i am replacing the lead
with bondo?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Weld. Bondo to smooth the finished product, but Bondo ain't structural.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

dat5102dr wrote:so in the end i am replacing the lead
with bondo?
No use Mar-Glas as it's much more flexable and stronger that bondo. I only use bondo for small easy pings and sealing both ends of a home made M80 for the 4th :shock: But if your good you could simply lead back over the area.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

the C pillar joint is where the vents are located ,you can see the two leaded areas just below the vent opening but i see that your new roof has been cut above the factory joint
Attachments
outer panel welded.jpg
outer panel welded.jpg (81.68 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

Three B's Racing wrote:
dat5102dr wrote:so in the end i am replacing the lead
with bondo?
No use Mar-Glas as it's much more flexable and stronger that bondo. I only use bondo for small easy pings and sealing both ends of a home made M80 for the 4th :shock: But if your good you could simply lead back over the area.
Yeah, I would use lead, its very easy to work with as long as you keep the heat at lead melt point, I did lots of lead on metal and for me at least it wasn't hard, I actually like it better than bondo ;-)
Diego.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Or you could use this. See below. By the time you purchase the proper tools to re lead you will be done and moved on to the next part of your build. Repairing with lead is cool and somewhat an art form that is not used by most shops because its time consuming and very few people really know how to properly use / install it anymore. Not to mention the health risks of using and being around lead. I am by now means a tree hugging safety monger but it is a consideration when choosing a product to use.

http://www.uschem.com/index.cfm?page=pr ... tail&id=54