Window Regulator Question

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Button

Window Regulator Question

Post by Button » 04 Aug 2014 00:49

I went to put the window in my door the other night and I realized that there was a nylon washer next to the nylon roller on only one of the regulator arms. The arm that has the washer is the one that rides in the track on the door and not the track that is attached to the window frame. Should this arm have the washer as well? I found what appears to be a broken washer just like that in the door (along with some other crap) so I didn't want to put it together with out knowing. Neither of my regulators have that washer. I have looked around online trying to find clear pictures but to no avail, so if anyone knows off hand or has a good regulator to look at I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Attachments
WindowWasher04.jpg
WindowWasher04.jpg (57.47 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
WindowWasher02.jpg
WindowWasher02.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
WindowWasher03.jpg
WindowWasher03.jpg (64.66 KiB) Viewed 1326 times

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Window Regulator Question

Post by okayfine » 04 Aug 2014 08:54

A good resource for stuff like this is the OE Parts Catalog, with all the exploded views. Parts Catalog only shows one washer #66:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (138.01 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

Button

Post by Button » 04 Aug 2014 10:48

Hmm - that's odd. In the exploded view it shows a cotter pin holding on that washer. But on mine the roller wheels and washers are permanently attached with pressed pin/rivet and it has no provisions for removing the roller wheels or washer. In the OE parts manual does it say what parts 66 ans 67 are?

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 04 Aug 2014 11:02

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6377&hilit=

here is a link to some of my pictures, might help you. There is only the ONE removable clip, the other roller wheels are all fixed.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

Button

Post by Button » 04 Aug 2014 11:13

Thank you Keith for that link, great write up, I am book marking that. Your write up will be very helpful when I actually install my windows.

Your photos show what I expected and feared that both arms have that washer. Since there is no way to add a new washer properly I will see if I can jury rig something and see how it goes. If the window is too rattly my only option will be to replace the entire window regulator. To me this is a bad design since there is a part that can be prone to wear out or break and there is no means of replacing it.

Thanks for your help guys.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 04 Aug 2014 11:42

Glad that helped. Both of my washers were quite bagged also, but, i just did not worry about it. I put a drop or two of TRI-FLOW on the wheel "bearings", took the time to make sure the window alignment was good, for when you wind it up, and called it dialed. I put just a small smear of LUBRIPLATE ( or any thin grease ) on the roller channels too. I have had no issues to date, but then I put very small miles on my car in a season.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

Button

Post by Button » 04 Aug 2014 19:53

Thanks again Keith. I put some motorcycle chain lube on so hopefully that will do the trick. I also bought some Nylon washers from the hardware store that are about the same size so I will see if I can rig something up.