Reverse light wiring question - harness restoration

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
2DoorJim
Supporter

Reverse light wiring question - harness restoration

Post by 2DoorJim »

Wondering if someone might give me a little direction on this. My 72 2 door 510 was originally automatic trans and converted to manual prior to me buying it. Through my restoration I've either lost track of a portion of the harness which would have connected to the reverse light switch on the trans, or the wires might not have been there to begin with which is likely the case.

I vaguely recall from long ago that the reverse light switch wires for a manual trans car were split from the tail light harness near the location of the drivers seat, routed up through the shifter bezel to the trans. Perhaps I'm thinking of some other car. Alternately the auto trans chassis may have routed the reverse light wires elsewhere, but I've been through this harness and don't see signs of them.

I've got a couple schematics of manual trans cars which show the layout, but I don't have an auto trans schematic, might not help anyway.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Reverse light wiring question - harness restoration

Post by okayfine »

Reverse lights from the trans were part of the engine wiring harness that goes to the wiper motor. You can see that here, third picture down:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26945
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Ahhh got it Okay!

Appears somebody was a little overzealous with the wire cutters when pairing out the auto trans stuff. All restored and tested now.

Thanks for the help.
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

I was wondering where that wire went to, thanks guys!
Diego.