hey guys so i just got my datsun and would like some tips

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
sallykat

hey guys so i just got my datsun and would like some tips

Post by sallykat » 29 Sep 2014 18:24

so i just picked up my datsun and im taking off the front panels and working from front to rear i would like some tips on were to start and sum advice aswell this is my first build on the car and im a lil over whelmed wit no one to help me.
thanks guys
Attachments
IMG_0723.JPG
and engine bay
IMG_0723.JPG (320.82 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
IMG_0722.JPG
left side
IMG_0722.JPG (297.85 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
IMG_0721.JPG
right side
IMG_0721.JPG (312.04 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
IMG_0720.JPG
this is the front
IMG_0720.JPG (247.39 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

okayfine
Supporter

Re: hey guys so i just got my datsun and would like some tip

Post by okayfine » 29 Sep 2014 19:55

Going to need to know about you before we can answer that sort of question.

What's your mechanical skill like?
What's your budget like?
What's your fab ability like?
What's your car like? How complete is it? What are you missing?
What are you goals for the car? Near-term? Long-term?

A million ways to go with a 510, but with answers to those questions above we can begin to point you to a path you can be successful with.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 29 Sep 2014 19:56

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

sallykat

Post by sallykat » 29 Sep 2014 20:25

well i would say my mechanical skill is high im a cnc programer and sheet metal fabricator for a aerospace company
my buget is wat it is i mean i kno these things dont go fast and i have nothing but time u cant rush perfection
fab ability is good for the 2 years ive been in the aerospace world
my car is i would say about 30% at the moment i just wana fix the body and get it on all four wheels i am missing everything as in the front suspension ill post more pics if that would help
and my goals is to have a clean little 510 with a sr20 so i can cruise around the canyons here in la and i kno it takes time money and patients

greenthumb

Post by greenthumb » 29 Sep 2014 21:17

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27373

looks like you could use these- not that easy to find anymore, and makes the bbk conversion a lot easier. Prob a good idea if you are going SR. Car looks like a fine starting point. Looks pretty solid in the pics I see

sallykat

Post by sallykat » 29 Sep 2014 21:31

greenthumb wth is a bbk conversion lol sorry for the lack of knowlege im very new to the 510 wrold yeah its not that bad ill post up more pics tommarow
we go two datsuns for a great price my brothers is way nicer his is on all four wheels

finn
Supporter

Post by finn » 29 Sep 2014 21:35

So you have no idea what to do next?.....
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.

sallykat

Post by sallykat » 29 Sep 2014 21:37

ummm yeah i have to get the rust out and find a way to get it on four wheels i need the whole front suspension but some ideas would help like i said im new to this any help would be great

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 30 Sep 2014 06:07

Well, like I said up top, we can provide any number of opinions and options, but in general The Realm is not a great place to ask for direction from a directionless project; The Realm is better with specific questions.

IMO, the best The Realm can offer you at the moment is the ability to research. I posted a bunch of links in your intro thread that should help you figure out what sort of direction you want to go. Did you read any of it? Read through it all, take out the good information you can process at the current time, ignore the rest for now. Read through some Project forum threads, see how other people have taken cars similar to yours and turned them into awesome 510s. Get your manuals, your wiring diagrams, etc. If you don't know what to do and where to go, you're not going to immediately jump into wrenching on this car and turning it into perfection. You've got a learning curve ahead of you and you need to do the prep work (for your brain, not the sheetmetal, yet).

I still don't have a handle on what you're capable of, however. Two years as a CNC programmer does not, in itself, a mechanic make. I worked at Haas Automation for a couple years, and the engineering staff was good, but nearly none were car guys - actual put-a-wrench-on-it, figure-out-whats-wrong-with-it car guys. Lots of flash cars there, but you need to build one from parts. Different story.

Have YOU ever worked on a car before? If so, what did you do?
sallykat wrote:my buget is wat it is i mean i kno these things dont go fast and i have nothing but time u cant rush perfection

my car is i would say about 30%
This is going to kill you, though. You may think you got a deal buying this car, but if you have 30% of the car (and if you're new to 510s you might not know what you don't have, so say 20%), you're a long way from getting it rolling, much less driving. You avoided the $ question, but buying a cheap, incomplete 510 is the most expensive way to get a running, driving car. I ask the $ question because if you have a defined budget, we can tell you right now whether you're going to end up with an SR510 for that money.

And if you are, indeed, aiming for perfection, then we're talking $50K+ to build.

Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten » 30 Sep 2014 11:35

Do you have any of the front suspension parts?

A quick look at the calipers suggests 280ZX struts were in the car. Do you have the struts? How about the steering box, idler arm and cross link? Do you have any of these parts?

Starting with little more than a stripped unibody (even a rust free one) will kill you financially in buying parts one piece at a time. If this is all you have to start with you might want to consider a donor car or finding a buyer for this shell who is looking to build a vintage racecar. Race car builds generally are a ground up with all custom parts.

By the looks of what you've shown us, you could easily spend $20-$30K on this car to end up with a $15-$20K market value when you are done.

and okayfine can get a little pitbullish, it's nothing personal, he's done it to all of us at some point. :wink:
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 30 Sep 2014 11:36

Man, I thought I was mellowing in my old age... :?

Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten » 30 Sep 2014 12:21

Julian,
Back in the day sallykat would have been left curled up in the fetal position wearing nothing but shredded underwear. Today he is at least standing with only one pant leg missing.

So yes I will agree you have mellowed.

sallykat,
How about a restart with an overall description of what you have. Something that details the components missing (or included which ever seems shorter), you know kind of a big picture overview of what it is you are working with. Then it will be allot easier for us to help you.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH

sallykat

Post by sallykat » 30 Sep 2014 13:18

Will do once im home thanks guys

sallykat

Post by sallykat » 30 Sep 2014 16:48

Dave Patten ok so these pics are all i have
i do not have any of the front suspension and none of the steering components idler arm and cross link
i want this car to track it and even drift it if possible i can make brackets at work and stuff like that
my budget is as much as i can spend on it a month so i would say maybe 500 buks a month
okayfine i can put 2 and 2 together im not brainless and i have worked on cars just nvr restored one me and my brother made his little integra to a type r front and just droped it pretty easy stuff
Attachments
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG (253.71 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
IMG_0731.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG (288.6 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG (327.9 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG (514.02 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG (302.41 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG (237.44 KiB) Viewed 2277 times

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 30 Sep 2014 17:25

sallykat wrote:okayfine i can put 2 and 2 together im not brainless and i have worked on cars just nvr restored one me and my brother made his little integra to a type r front and just droped it pretty easy stuff
I'm not insulting you. We don't know anything about you and you chose to say nothing about your abilities. Without a grasp of your abilities, we have no way to judge whether to guide you toward fixing what you have or guide you toward buying something better to give you a chance to work up your skills.

Do you have any other parts beyond what's shown in the pictures? If this will be a track/dorifto toy, will it need to be street-legal? This track bitch angle is a different animal than the clean little 510 you mentioned earlier.

With the skill you indicate, this project, in any form (track or street) will be a huge challenge. Not only are you starting with a bare shell, you're unfamiliar with 510s specifically and a lot of the mechanics necessary in general. You'll be putting a lot of money and time into this shell to make it what you want. I'm not certain this is the car for you, simply from the financial POV.

If you are up to the challenge, all the 510 resources in the world are here at The Realm, linked from The Realm, or are the people behind the type. I strongly suggest you read up on all the links in your Intro thread, then download and read through the complete Dime, Quarterly backissue collection. And that's just the beginning.