510 rear bumper questions 1968

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
jefe de jefes

510 rear bumper questions 1968

Post by jefe de jefes »

Is there a difference in 1968 wagon and 1968 car rear bumper sizes?

Also, do these look like original markings?

okayfine
Supporter

Re: 510 rear bumper questions 1968

Post by okayfine »

Wagon and sedan bumpers are different. I once put a sedan rear bumper on my wagon with no real issues. Most people wouldn't be able to tell.

I've never seen an NOS bumper before, but those don't look like OEM markings to me. '68 USDM bumper is the production bumper for the rest of the world, so there will have been repops.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jefe de jefes

Post by jefe de jefes »

Thanks.

I'll need to pull this out for a better look then.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I tried to get a good picture and failed, but my '68-style (original bumper on a '69 JDM car) has WAY different fender tabs that what you show in your last picture. Mine, front and rear, are made of thicker strap that is almost half as wide, not spot welded to the outside edge, is rounded on the free end, with a captured nut.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jefe de jefes

Post by jefe de jefes »

Here's a 68 wagon rear bumper I have as a spare.
I believe this is the strap you are talking about?

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I couldn't get my PnS to autofocus on the right part, so here are two blurry pictures showing what I have.

The first shows the tab with the captured nut. It looks like the squared nut that Byron made for the trans tunnel.
bumper2.jpg
bumper2.jpg (143.16 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
This is a few of the front from below, showing the shape of the bracket. It's also attached to the bottom of the bumper, not wrapped around the whole inside.
bumper1.jpg
bumper1.jpg (99.81 KiB) Viewed 2680 times