Rust Under the Rear Window Gasket

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Dave Patten
Supporter

Rust Under the Rear Window Gasket

Post by Dave Patten »

I don't have a picture but how often are you guys seeing rust in the lower section of the rear window opening.

I'm talking where the window gasket sits over the pinch weld on the bottom. it has kind of a reverse angle that creates a low spot where moisture can gather, especially if the gasket has started to degrade and crack.

Here in the Northeast I have never found a car with serious problems in this area, but then again the gaskets are not subjected to lots of UV (low sun angles and clouds) so the window rubber usually outlasted the lower bodywork that was pickled in road salt.

Is there much of a need for this part as a replacement panel?

Part #11 in the diagram below.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
JordanTr

Re: Rust Under the Rear Window Gasket

Post by JordanTr »

The 3 cars I've had the rear windows out of the last couple years have all been just fine. Another one I sold (without window removal) had some suspicious bubbling near the bottom corners of the glass though. All 4 were local BC cars, 2 had been garaged for the past ~20 years but only 1 of those had rusty bubbles.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Jordan,
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

My suspicion is this is more of a problem in southerly and arid climates.

The sun bakes the rubber, rubber dries out and cracks and what little moisture that does find its way into this area starts the rust.

I'll bet this is a bigger problem on car's that are well cared for and washed regularly.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

One of my cars (the one that lived up in the Sierras), had minor rust in the pinch weld, about a half inch hole, I replaced metal, all is good.
Not bad enough to justify replacing entire part, but I could see that happening, it is a kind of well for water to gather.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
James

Post by James »

My 2 door is waiting for me to fix this area….its more common for cars left outside for sure - but mine is a CA car - has a nice spot of rust there…...
Finished is better than perfect......
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

This is where mine has rusted:

My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I have had no issues either, considering I have had my car since 1978 and it did a lot of rain driving before it became a good weather car only.

I think you are right about the sun drying stuff out, just enough for rain/wet to creep under, then it all over but the crying.

The shop bought a southern BMW once, from Arizona, that thing leaked like a sieve once it was up here. even the body seal seams leaked, as the filler had dried out.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
homer

Post by homer »

I am in North Texas and have rust in the corners of both the front and rear. I have considered buying a bead roller and shrinker to make patches but would much rather buy reproduction panels
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Almost everytime I see pics of rust in those areas I also see paint on the rubber from a bad taping job prior to paint. So I chalk it up to the paint pile from the rubber to the body breaking lifting the paint leaving a hard edge causing water to puddle there where the hard water deposits can cause issues if not dried away and left to dry in place. I wash my 510 all the time and in 20 years since I painted the 510 I have no rust in those areas. But then my front and rear glass were not present when color went down. If you must paint with glass in get something under the rubber lifting it so paint can get under it onto the body making for a good seal.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon