bracing and seam sealers

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
dan_the_man

bracing and seam sealers

Post by dan_the_man » 27 Dec 2014 07:36

hey guys, as the title says I am interested in what seam sealers are favored here. The quality of builds are quite impressive and I thought you would be good ones to look for advise. My car was painted over a year ago and I have not moved forward due to other peoples cars and work. The other being miss matched paint that I can't live with. A friend suggested we respray all of it. Sounds crazy, but the panels that don't match are scattered around the car. Now the question to you is: I want a seam sealer that will allow the hood and roof to move under heat conditions. The bonds I have used are too rigid and as the panels heat up in the sun the waves appear. I was told of a product called "flutter foam". Anyone use it?

510wizard
Supporter

Re: bracing and seam sealers

Post by 510wizard » 28 Dec 2014 10:27

Not sure what you are looking for? Are you asking for seam sealer or an adhesive? ( two entirely different products) If to go between the under bracing and the panel, such as the hood, then an adhesive would be used. A seam sealer, like the name says, it seals a seam to keep water out of between two pieces of metal.

dan_the_man

Post by dan_the_man » 28 Dec 2014 13:04

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not being clear. I am looking for the gap between the brace and the painted panel. The problem I am looking to resolve is that under cool conditions the panel is straight. As the panel heats and the metal expands, the bonded areas are prevented from expansion and contraction to the same level as those non bonded ones. Keep in mind that these waves are slight, but it bothers me and I wish to eliminate the issue. The anti flutter foam is advertised as a sound deadening product but used in these areas I want to bond. I am wanting to know if any one has used this product. It is supposed to be a less rigid material and would allow for some small amount of movement.

RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS » 05 Jan 2015 17:31

I just finished some rust repair on a 95 dodge cummings and if that flutter foam is the same crap that Chrysler used I would stay far far away. now I don't know if its the same or similar product but i was not happy with the wet blanket between the large panel gaps. the product used on the dodge acted like an open cell foam wicking up the moisture from the rocker and depositing it higher up in the door jamb. :x

there are many types and brands of "flutter foam" or flexible urethane foam on the market and they are not all created equal. I have been looking into using some foam on my latest project but have yet to decide on a brand or placement of the product. if there were more restoration shops around me I would talk to the guys applying it and find out what its like to work with, what kind of comebacks (if any) they have had and most importantly how long they have been using the product (some products seem great for the first few years then turn to crap after five)

I would only look at 2k products and not be fearful of the price $40-$90 for 50ml :shock: applicator < $100 :shock:

let me know what you find as im on the same path but I will be using a more rubbery than foam type product between the bracing and panels like the oem stuff on the hood.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 » 05 Jan 2015 18:05

why put it back in at all?
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.

RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS » 05 Jan 2015 19:05

I was sloppy with some stripper :oops: delamed the hood :(

good point. I don't plan on driving it in the rain and I don't have plans of installing a stereo.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

dan_the_man

Post by dan_the_man » 05 Jan 2015 19:07

tycot1, the roof skin is unstable without any kind of bond. With out it the vibration will be an issue as well as blocking the roof is impossible. It's like sanding a jelly fish. Sorry, best description I could come up with(long day).

RMS, the two brands I was looking at are SEM and Fuzor. I was told about the Fuzor product from a body shop owner that has been using it for years. But I wanted to see what others are using and with good or bad results.

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 06 Jan 2015 06:29

Here's the reply from my friend Zach who works for SEM...

"The product he is looking for is 39977 panel vibration control material. It is a 2k urethane vibration isolator. It is not a foam but more of a rubbery feeling product. Foams expand and will usually cause dimples in a panel. You can post our technical number if they have any questions. (800)831-1122. It's me and two other guys that answer any technical or where to buy questions. "

dan_the_man

Post by dan_the_man » 06 Jan 2015 07:26

Just called and got great help. Thanks for the info and contact number S15det

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 06 Jan 2015 07:58

Awesome, let us know what you use, and how it works out.

dan_the_man

Post by dan_the_man » 07 Jan 2015 21:31

Well I got the SEM product and applied it tonight. Can't wait to do anther blocking and check in different temp settings. After about three hours the stuff has the consistency of butal tape or dumb gum.

pmaknefob

Post by pmaknefob » 26 Mar 2015 20:11

Block sanding a panel with a firm sealer pad on the braces usually causes problems with your ability to block the panel straight. Things go much better with no sealer, and then inject it back in when you are happy with the blocking result, or after it's painted. An area where there is sealer at a brace makes for a firm/hard area just in that spot/area, and the more you block sand, you will be removing more primer from just that spot= uneven material removal, and so the lower that spot becomes even though that area may have been close to perfect. If you have a factory straight, never been bent panel with the hard factory sealer still in it, you would be better off just sanding it by hand= no sanding block. I use a really good sealer that never hardens, and is easy to work with, and of course will let the panel move when the panel expands when the sun heats it up. Having the sealer pad in there does a lot to sound deaden the panel also. I'll edit this later with the name and part number of this sealer.... EDIT; It's called: Window sealing compound. Part number: 001 989 31 20 Made by Mercedes Benz, and sold through any Mercedes Benz dealership parts department.
Last edited by pmaknefob on 28 Mar 2015 17:41, edited 4 times in total.

dan_the_man

Post by dan_the_man » 27 Mar 2015 06:33

Thanks pmaknefob, your speaking my language. I looked into flutter foam. Any info and advice is appreciated.

akara

Post by akara » 27 Mar 2015 07:47

I have really good results using POR Patch to seam seal, its a bit expensive but does a great job of preventing rust

dan_the_man

Post by dan_the_man » 27 Mar 2015 08:09

Thanks Ankara, I don't have any rust problems. The roof panel when not supported by the bracing is unstable. My issue is a bond that will allow for movement under heat cycling. The bonds I have used have been too rigid and I'm not liking the results. I'm hoping to spend time this weekend on a few things with the car. Thanks for your input.