Front Clip removal or abandon Ship?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
jaredperry

Front Clip removal or abandon Ship?

Post by jaredperry »

I have a 1971 510 that I recently acquired.

After I got the vehicle home, I noticed more damage that initially assessed. As you can see, the front passengers side was hit and has crinkled the portion before the battery tray to include a small crinkle behind the passenger strut tower. I have yet to investigate the reasoning for the drivers side fender caving in near the door, but from what I have inspected it looks to be unrelated.

I have since then obtained a front clip because I feel the only way to properly repair the damage is to remove the radiator core support and right side, or just do the whole front clip.

I have a couple questions regarding the process:

Is this a complete waste of time?
Should I do the whole clip or just the passengers side?
What do I need to look out for?
What would be the correct procedure / process?
Are the photos of the process on this site?

Any insight and help is greatly appreciated.

The front clip I have purchased

James

Re: Front Clip removal or abandon Ship?

Post by James »

There are some build threads where the entire front clip has been replaced. My gut is that it is Icehouse (Jeff) who has done this - but couldn't find them on a quick search.
I think you can save it. You've got the parts. Plus - I've been in your garage (picked up some seats from you) - you've got plenty of room!.

Hopefully someone will chime in with those build threads. Seems like he pulled it off in a weekend……..(no pressure!)
Finished is better than perfect......
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

No, don't abandon ship.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

Some inspiration for you.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
jaredperry

Post by jaredperry »

James wrote:There are some build threads where the entire front clip has been replaced. My gut is that it is Icehouse (Jeff) who has done this - but couldn't find them on a quick search.
I think you can save it. You've got the parts. Plus - I've been in your garage (picked up some seats from you) - you've got plenty of room!.

Hopefully someone will chime in with those build threads. Seems like he pulled it off in a weekend……..(no pressure!)

I came across a photo or two that Jeff had posted regarding a similar restoration. I think its safe to say he is extremely knowledgeable with these vehicles.

I am just maybe in search of procedural or how to tips before I dive in and learn the hard way.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The rules I follow:

1. ALWAYS try and go to a factory seam. This makes the alignment easier. When a car has been crunched you sometimes need to be an artist though :)

2. Don't be in a hurry. If you are stuck walk away and think about it for a day or two. Its much to easy to just keep cutting on shit thinking you will eventually find the right combination of cuts.

3. Always cut off way more from the donor car that you think you need.

I just got done with this repair. It was fun :) I had to be an artist more than I like and the next owner needs to do rockers so the fitment could be better in that area. The rest turned out nice for what it was.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jaredperry

Post by jaredperry »

Holy smokes... :shock:

You did a really good job at repairing this vehicle.

Did you stitch weld the panels in its entirety then grind, body filler, sand, rinse and repeat?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If I learned anything from Project Binky, it's to punch holes in panels and plug weld 'em.

You said the passenger strut tower is likely pushed back a little. Can you get it back into shape and build a jig that would allow you to properly position the new clip?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

easy stuff. do it.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
jaredperry

Post by jaredperry »

okayfine wrote:If I learned anything from Project Binky, it's to punch holes in panels and plug weld 'em.

You said the passenger strut tower is likely pushed back a little. Can you get it back into shape and build a jig that would allow you to properly position the new clip?
Below is the crease, potential structural damage, that I noticed at the furthest point.

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The read arrow is actually pointing at a designed in crumple zone ( I know hard to believe they thought of that way back then) Which is helpfully, it stops the bending of metal from continuing down the shell.

Like Tycot says, easy. Just take it slow and go in knowing you won't give up. If you lived closer I would stop by and give you pointers.

There is no mud in the car I did yet. Next owner can do that if they decide to paint it. I think it looks killer as is. Could use a red door. :)
jaredperry

Post by jaredperry »

icehouse wrote:The read arrow is actually pointing at a designed in crumple zone ( I know hard to believe they thought of that way back then) Which is helpfully, it stops the bending of metal from continuing down the shell.

Like Tycot says, easy. Just take it slow and go in knowing you won't give up. If you lived closer I would stop by and give you pointers.

There is no mud in the car I did yet. Next owner can do that if they decide to paint it. I think it looks killer as is. Could use a red door. :)
Regarding the crumple note, that is good news!!

I will definitely take it slow and practice removing piece by piece on the damaged portion before removing the necessary parts on the donor clip.

In regards to the color, the donor fenders are yellow and white. Maybe I can score a red hood and valance (Still need those items).
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Maybe you'll find real enjoyment in doing the repair. I love it! I feel like an artist, mostly when I get poorly cut patch panels from different people :)