Weatherstrip adhesive

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
heli006

Weatherstrip adhesive

Post by heli006 »

Just started installing my Datsunlandsocal rubber pieces. Having a problem with adhesive. What have you all used? What works? I've got permatex super weatherstrip adhesive and it doesn't seem to stick too well to the rubber pieces. According to the directions, I apply a thin coat to both the piece, and the surface, wait a few mins, then stick the piece on. The problem I'm having is the adhesive doesn't want to stick to the rubber bits, it just peels off in one piece. Grrrrrr....I've tried another section with urethane sealer/adhesive with way better results
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Weatherstrip adhesive

Post by bertvorgon »

I use some rubbing alcohol or methanol ( fondue fuel ) to get rid of any mold release still on the rubber, just helps the adhesion. Even some brake clean could work, let it dry well, then apply.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
heli006

Post by heli006 »

I tried some Autobody wash prep, but I'll try your suggestion. If there is still mold release on the rubber that makes sense, this adhesive is supposed to be the right stuff to use
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

I have always used 3M adhesive, after cleaning off the rubber with lacquer thinner.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

A very good rubber to metal glue is IC2000. It is used by Audi/VW to attach w/strips. It is also a favorite of Woodworkers and Hobbies, as it will bond rubber to metal, wood, CF or plastic. RC and Slot car guys use it to glue tires to rims, and RC Plane/Boat builders use it to bond servo's to bulkheads etc. KMS Tools carries it.

Bob Smith Industries makes the product and custom labels the product for Vendors.

http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/ic_2000.html

https://www.kmstools.com/bsi-ic-2000-cy ... e-1oz-7452