Subi WRX seats

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
tr6racer21
Supporter

Subi WRX seats

Post by tr6racer21 » 06 Mar 2016 13:28

Just picked a fairly clean set of front seats from a 02 Subaru WRX. Seem to be pretty comfy and fairly supportive even out of the car.

I was hoping that someone who has mounted these seats in their 510 could provide some information on doing installation. Practical instructions as well as illustrations would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

defdes
Supporter

Re: Subi WRX seats

Post by defdes » 06 Mar 2016 16:12

I don't have specifics, but this is usually handled by angle iron/rectangular bar welded together at the appropriate places to bolt the seats to, then bolt that through the floor. I am sure there are a number of aftermarket mounts to chose from as well. Are the sliders on the seats, or no?

tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 » 06 Mar 2016 17:12

Yes the seats came with the rails and all adjustments work well. I had seen several pictures of these particular seats mounted in various 510's and thought there might be a consistent direction to go in when mounting them. I currently have a pair of the Corbeau Sport Seats in the car with their floor mounting brackets. Don't get me wrong I like these seats, but always looking to improve the comfort and support....which translates to a longer more enjoyable drive time. The Corbeau brackets provide a firm, secure mounting platform and could possibly be modified to work with the WRX seats. I'm always open for ideas though, thanks

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 06 Mar 2016 17:20

Depends on how tall you are, and specifically how much of that is torso.

I had those seats in my KA510 and I loved them. If those seats had come in my '00 Subaru, I'd not have changed them for JDM STI seats. I mounted the WRX seats as low as possible: the front end was mounted to the stock 510 cross brace; the rear end was mounted to the floor. Despite that, and with the driver's seat set as low as possible, my hair still brushed the headliner.

Aside from that point, the seats were stellar. I'm 6'1" and taller in the torso, so judge as you may.
wrx_seats.jpg
wrx_seats.jpg (122.45 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 06 Mar 2016 17:27

510_interior_web.jpg
510_interior_web.jpg (109.88 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 » 06 Mar 2016 17:31

Thanks Julian,

Thats good info. I'm your size 6'1" with a long torso and arms....I will follow your lead....although I don't have much hair left to brush the headliner!

Cheers

tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 » 06 Mar 2016 17:38

Also wondering if the seat cushions are interchangeable from left to right. I realize that the airbags would be on the wrong side, but they won't be active anyway. Just thinking I could get twice the wear out of the covers as they look like they're similar, unlike many seats that are not.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 06 Mar 2016 18:20

Are you going to put 200K on your car? I have the aforementioned JDM STI seats in my Subaru. The car's 16 years old now, the seats have been in it for 15 years (and they weren't new when I got 'em), and at 150K there isn't wear, even in the foam. Now, I've been careful about not dragging legs over the lower bolsters, etc., but at this point the only thing they are is dirty from driving with the windows down.

That said, the bottom fabrics of the WRX seats are likely identical. I had the covers off mine to install seat heaters, and don't remember a difference or of keeping track of the bottoms...but this was ever such a long time ago. And I didn't pay attention to the foams. The uppers are unique, but physically the same L/R, aside from the airbag sides with the magic stitching. You could probably swap them if you had to. I pulled the airbag units from my seats, they were just added weight. Really doubt you'll see a need if your seats are currently in good shape.

tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 » 07 Mar 2016 10:05

Julian,

Just to follow up. Doesn't look like the covers are interchangeable (at least the bottoms) from side to side as the plastic attachment clips are not identical, and as well the drivers seat has the height adjustment and back adjustment that go through the fabric under the covers. The seats I have do have a little wear as you would expect, but as you stated seem to have very good quality fabric and should last.

Maybe I can jog your memory a bit on the install specifics. It would seem that the mounting feet would need to be carefully bent to a flatter profile in order to mount in the 510. The rear tunnel side foot is the strongest of the group (most likely due to the seat belt anchor) and would be the toughest to modify. This rear foot has the mounting hole located vertically to the tunnel...do you remember drilling a hole in the 510 tunnel, reinforcing it and mounting this leg in this manner? Thanks for your help

Cheers

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 07 Mar 2016 20:01

I welded angled brackets to the front and rear leading edges of the Subaru sliders, then bolted through those into the seat crossmember and through the floor in the rear. I don't have pictures, but if you've placed the seats in the 510, you can see that the angles aren't much - the angle from the slider bottom to the 510 floor might be 15-20° or so.

The stock slider brackets are on there - they're perimeter-welded and spot-welded. I tried to swap my STI seats left-to-right so I could have the seat bottom adjustments as a driver, but gave up after cutting the welds I could see didn't free the bracket. I rewelded and carried on.