Detailing

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Detailing

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Is there a compiled set of information anywhere on how to care for the original paint on these things? I.e., what process should I use to detail a car that hasn't had a true detailing in, oh, maybe 45 years. Are clay bars a no-no? Any particular products that work best? I can't find much info out there. I'm looking to preserve and protect the original paint.

Thanks!
MikeY

Re: Detailing

Post by MikeY »

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

DonnieDatsun wrote:Is there a compiled set of information anywhere on how to care for the original paint on these things? I.e., what process should I use to detail a car that hasn't had a true detailing in, oh, maybe 45 years. Are clay bars a no-no? Any particular products that work best? I can't find much info out there. I'm looking to preserve and protect the original paint.

Thanks!
That's great you want to preserve and protect the original paint but no matter what you do your polishing pad will come up with paint color thinning the paint each time you machine or hand buff. But anything you put down over the paint will keep it looking great. Garaging it and covering it will go a long way. I painted my 510 in `97 and garage it all the time but don't cover it and the paint still looks great though it is thinning as it's a single stage PPG Enamel. Next paint job will see a two stage job.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
James

Post by James »

Read that article Mike Y posted. Mirror glaze #7 is your friend.
Finished is better than perfect......
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Yea I ordered supplies based on that article, hand-only is exactly the route I want to go. Thanks, Mike!
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Early returns look positive
Attachments
detail2.jpg
detail2.jpg (510.04 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
detail5.jpg
detail5.jpg (598.54 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
detail4.jpg
detail4.jpg (389.73 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
detail3.jpg
detail3.jpg (416.75 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
detail1.jpg
detail1.jpg (562.4 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
James

Post by James »

Awesome - my favorite color for the 510. What did you use?
Finished is better than perfect......
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

I do like the green, myself.

- Started by wiping the car off with McKee's 37 Waterless Wash
- Clayed the car using Blackfire Poly Clay (Fine Grade) & Dodo Juice Born Slippy
- Performed two applications of Meg's #7, let the first application sit for about 9 hours before removing
- Finished with a coat of Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro

I'm anything but a professional, but I can see the difference.
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Side note, this stuff is amazing: https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Ae ... 00KN0UOEE/

Pics to come when daylight returns. I'm not exaggerating when I say most of my interior looks like new.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I learned about the 303 product about 5 years ago at the tip of a parts person - and you are right, it is a great product and from what I have read, good for our old vinyl interiors.

Tomorrow is detail day in my driveway for our car show this weekend. The Bronze stays indoors, and doesn't require too much work, just a cleaning.
Ole Blue however has been outdoors this past year. And although it's the last year it will be out side, the paint needs some work to bring it up to snuff for Sundays All Japanese Classic.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Wow does that guy ramble....but there is great information in that artical/write up including technique - information not usually found on the products used. And there is enough background information that you really should know what's happening.

Thanks for the link Mike.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Byron510 wrote:I learned about the 303 product about 5 years ago at the tip of a parts person - and you are right, it is a great product and from what I have read, good for our old vinyl interiors.

Tomorrow is detail day in my driveway for our car show this weekend. The Bronze stays indoors, and doesn't require too much work, just a cleaning.
Ole Blue however has been outdoors this past year. And although it's the last year it will be out side, the paint needs some work to bring it up to snuff for Sundays All Japanese Classic.

Byron
Probably too late, but you should do some before and after shots :mrgreen: