KA24DE 5SPD Speedo Question

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
66DUCE

KA24DE 5SPD Speedo Question

Post by 66DUCE »

Hey looking to get my speedo working again. First has anyone swapped over the electronic speedo head from an S13? The factory instrument cluster hole will need to be enlarged/modified to fit the wider S13 speedo head. Looks like I can get the S13 gage far enough away from the lense and will have to build a new"tunnel" to view the speedo. Not sure that I am willing to cut up my perfect cluster though. I know that there are aftermarket gages available but would like to exhaust this as well as the mechanical route first.
If I go the mechanical route, I need the speedo gear and mechanical gear housing at the transmission end, anyone got one they would like to part with? I remember reading somewhere someone did a write up on this?
66DUCE

Re: KA24DE 5SPD Speedo Question

Post by 66DUCE »

Here is the mock up of the guage in the housing (it is just sitting on top of the housing) as you can see it is not totally visable, so would need to trim the tunnel.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: KA24DE 5SPD Speedo Question

Post by okayfine »

Converting the speed sensor to a mechanical setup and running the stock 510 speedo is straightforward. I don't recall anyone trying to swap in the S13 speedo itself, but I could see advantages if they were modular enough and had a matching tach.

DQ Volume 9 Issue 3 - Tech How-To: Speedometer Pinion Replacement -- Keep using your stock 510 speedometer with a modern engine swap

It's also been well documented here on The Realm, but I don't have a ready link, whereas I do have a ready dead tree reference.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson