Alternator upgrade

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
grimlid

Alternator upgrade

Post by grimlid »

Hi
I am currently running an l16 with mostly stock engine components. 1972 four door 35000 miles original
I am planning on a major power plant upgrade in 2017 but in the meantime....

I am having a pretty considerable lack of power from my stock alternator. Running the heater, high beam, am radio (with crackly speake r),and rear defrost can barely keep the car running at idle.
The idle has been adjusted as well as timing and runs awesome without all the electrical drain.

I would like to install a stereo and alarm before upgrading my motor completely. I really want a stereo but I doubt that there is enough spare power.
I am planning a voltmeter with the alternator upgrade.

I have read the excellent threads on KA and GM alternators. I am a little short on time so dont have much fab time for various reasons...

Mostly wondering what the other members with L16 and decent sound systems are running?

My understanding is a Z alternator is bolt in and gives 20% increase approximately. Can anyone confirm this and looking for any feedback, thanks...
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Alternator upgrade

Post by okayfine »

Z alts bolt in and provide more power. They vary in amp output over the years, but anything up through '78 should still be externally regulated, so will plug-n-play with stock wiring.

Granted, the changeover to internally-regulated alternators is easy as far as wiring, but sometimes every little bit helps.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
grimlid

Post by grimlid »

Thanks for the confirmation.
I think I will install one in the near future. I think the extra 10 amps be a big boost. it is over 20% increase realistically.
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

'78 and up were internal regulated for all Datsuns.

I think the 280Z car were 50 with a 60 amp as an option. The 510 is 50 so not really worth it.

I have an '89 240sx KA on my L18 I think 80 amp? My L20B is a 2002 Altima 100 amp. Both wired into 710s so they had to be re-configured for internal regulators and neither was a 'drop in' but easy enough. The power cable on the Altima was actually thicker than the positive battery cable to the starter!!! Had to grind away some of the lower alternator bracket to the engine to allow enough swing adjustment. Kept the old belt but had to swap the old Vee pulley onto both.

At idle the heater is a tornado even with wipers and high beams on. Only down side, if you can even call it that, is the belt will sometimes squawk. The alternator makes good power but needs to be turned and resists turning to do so. Vee belts don't have as much traction and the serpentine belts. If you shut engine off but leave the lights on and discharge the battery slightly it might screech once when started back up. Nothing really.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

I used a 1984 300ZX Internal Regulated alternator on my 1976 280Z . Small frame Mitsubishi, single groove pulley, 70 amp and bolts right into place. Even used the same fan belt. Just some simple rewiring to get rid of external V/Reg.

Had to change the alt plug as well, but that was easy. You can buy them online or just go to the bone yard. Mazda Miata's and Protege's use the same connector.

Edit: It's very worthwhile getting rid of the external voltage regulator. The internal regulated alternators are much more reliable and the solid state V/Reg's much more consistent. The newer alternators ( 1980 and later ) also put out a lot more amperage at idle. No problem having lights, wipers and AC on at same time and hold 14.3 volts at idle.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

1986 Maxima's use a 90 Amp IR reg alternator. Same high efficiency Mitsubishi design as 300ZX and should bolt right on. You will have to swap pulleys though. 80 amp and up use serpentine pulleys, but the stock V-Belt pulley bolts right on in most cases. Rock Auto has some good prices. AC Delco or Delco Remy is a good brand.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

if your hitting up the junk yard subaru's with ea-81s and ea-82s have IR Hitachi alts (direct bolt in) ranging from 45amp to 120amp depending on the options... ac,fuel injected, turbo
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Chickenman wrote:1986 Maxima's use a 90 Amp IR reg alternator. Same high efficiency Mitsubishi design as 300ZX and should bolt right on. You will have to swap pulleys though. 80 amp and up use serpentine pulleys, but the stock V-Belt pulley bolts right on in most cases. Rock Auto has some good prices. AC Delco or Delco Remy is a good brand.
I found the pulley fits but rubed the case so I had to slice a washer/spacer to clear it. One had too few threads on the nut actually holding it on with the lock washer added, so I MIG'd a small weld inside so it won't come loose but if I ever had to. the weld would shear off. Been running fine for years now.

For these same 4? years I had the two wires on the plug reversed but didn't know it until I added a volt gauge. About one in 5 starts it would charge when running. Turns out the alternator wouldn't charge until the battery was down to around 10.5 volts then would click in and away you go. This was never noticed as I never drove it at night and it always started. Switched the two wires and charge now every time.

The Truck KA used a Vee pulley.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs