Cranking issue

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Byron510

Re: Cranking issue

Post by Byron510 »

bertvorgon wrote:Hey Richard,

Yes, it was Daniel, I had a LONG discussion with him. Very interesting for sure.
Chickenman wrote:Have you looked at Cibies Keith? Still the Gold standard for lighting. Was it Daniel Stern lighting that you contacted? If not you should have a look at his site.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Lens design and reflector design ar just as important, or more important, than bulbs. Accuracy in cut off is a priority and Cibies excel at that.

His site has a lot of good information, and scientific information debunking many so call "upgrades" that have been available over the years. The effort he has spent on testing in real world conditions certainly holds weight and is well worth reading if you care about engineer and function over form.

But if you just have to have the "look" - don't bother, you'll likely be unimpressed about your latest "upgrade". For you, maybe better that you don't know...

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I want functionality of course, so I am going with those European Cibie he supplies, along with top grade ceramic connectors and wiring/relays and two choices of bulbs, best quality.

It will be a bit of a challenge to route everything in my engine bay but I have all winter to do it up nicely.

And best of all, it does kinda like the original 5 3/4 lenses.

We had a talk about the LED stuff and I agreed with him, just not there yet. I went through enough with our mountain bike LED's.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
BrandonS
Supporter

Post by BrandonS »

My low beams have Cibie H4 conversions on them and they work great.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World,

Here is the final diagnosis on my starter motor. I took it back to the re-builder, where upon dismantling it, he saw that the copper "buss" bar that goes from the brush holder assembly to the field coils...had broken. It was ever so slightly held in place by the factory goop on the field winding, so when it as cold it would or would not be making contact and when it was hot due to the motor running, the expansion would have made contact...JUST. That is why it had a problem with first start of the day, yet for the most part worked all day after that.

As it has been getting worse in randomness, the cold temperatures in the back of my plant just made it finally finish itself off, when I would try to crank.

This is my original starter from my 72', so I guess I cannot complain, 44 years of heat and vibration!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

And I thought I was a cheap SOB... LOL