Alternative Modern Wiper Motor Conversions

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Austin Lucas

Alternative Modern Wiper Motor Conversions

Post by Austin Lucas »

Any suggestions on wiper motor conversions that are slightly more modern than using one from a Mazda 626 or a 620?

I currently do not have a wiper motor at all in my car (510 or otherwise). I do have the linkage and wiper assembly but no motor so a rebuild is not an option at this time.

I have read the Dime Quarterly's article on the 626 swap but cannot find an 84-87 Mazda 626 (or 323) in a junkyard within a few hundred miles of me and ordering the motor online does not include the needed Mazda linkage for the swap.

I've searched the forum and haven't had much luck with any other alternatives that are still easily available.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Alternative Modern Wiper Motor Conversions

Post by okayfine »

car-parts.com, or put a search alert in at ebay.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

for most wiper conversions you need the little arm off the stock motor. most jideco 3 post motors can be made to work with the 510 linkage. some wires will need to be swapped around on the pin out and the stops adjusted.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

rockauto has them as well. I better order one before they are gone.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
spriso

Post by spriso »

I would take a good look at a Mid-90s Acura Itegra wiper motor-- they bolt up to the stock 510 linkage (without modification) and the bolt spacing is correct for the mounting plate. I had to do two small relief cuts on the mounting plate to clear the body of the wiper motor, but that took no time at all. The way that the clocking of the splined shaft at the back of the motor matches the 510 wiper motor too.

I like the smaller body of the Integra wiper motor compared to the 510 or 626 wiper motor too. You can easily find them at any pick-n-pull for about $30.

On my conversion, I added a stock Nissan wiper delay, and changed the wiper switch to the three position, lighted version found in later 70s Datsuns so I could add intermittent wipers.

Here is a quick video showing how the linkage is bolted on and the intermittent wipers, and the park was working correctly:

https://youtu.be/4i3chHPpj_A

Hope that helps!

Michael
Last edited by spriso on 24 Mar 2017 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Following!! The Integra sap sounds intriguing! :D
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Any recent up dates ? I need a wiper motor for my car as well.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I bought a USED 94-01 Integra wiper motor last weekend, but haven't done anything yet. The pivot arm looks just like the 510, so using the 510 arm looks like it will work. The 3 bolt mounting looks like the 510, so hope that works too. I might get to it this weekend............

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

yenpit wrote:I bought a USED 94-01 Integra wiper motor last weekend, but haven't done anything yet. The pivot arm looks just like the 510, so using the 510 arm looks like it will work. The 3 bolt mounting looks like the 510, so hope that works too. I might get to it this weekend............

TJ
Sounds good man!! can't wait to see how it turns out. Please post photos...
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
spriso

Post by spriso »

Here is more on the 1995-2001 Acura Integra wiper motor swap:

Start with the stock Acura Integra (also found on the Honda Del Sol) wiper motor:

The stock 510 mounting plate needs two small notches put in it to clear the stock Integra motor:

As seen from the back side:

Once you have those, you can see that the mounting plate will lay flat and perfectly line up with the cast threaded holes in the wiper motor body:

Close up view of the notches on the mounting plate to clear the wiper motor body:

The Acura wiper motor's output post has two notches in it to match the 510 style arm:

The stock 510 wiper linkage then bolts right onto the wiper motor:

And complete:

All I need now is to replace the rubber isolators and bolt it to the car.

And in case you missed it in my original post, a quick video of the test operation:

Hope that helps,

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
dscottdatsun
Supporter

Post by dscottdatsun »

any pics of the wiring adaptation?
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

spriso wrote:Here is more on the 1995-2001 Acura Integra wiper motor swap:

Start with the stock Acura Integra (also found on the Honda Del Sol) wiper motor:

The stock 510 mounting plate needs two small notches put in it to clear the stock Integra motor:

As seen from the back side:

Once you have those, you can see that the mounting plate will lay flat and perfectly line up with the cast threaded holes in the wiper motor body:

Close up view of the notches on the mounting plate to clear the wiper motor body:

The Acura wiper motor's output post has two notches in it to match the 510 style arm:

The stock 510 wiper linkage then bolts right onto the wiper motor:

And complete:

All I need now is to replace the rubber isolators and bolt it to the car.

And in case you missed it in my original post, a quick video of the test operation:

Hope that helps,

Michael
Dude thanks for sharing. Thats a great write up. I need to get one of the mounting plates first. lol How about the wiring?
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
spriso

Post by spriso »

The wiring on my project is going to be a bit different than standard 510s as I added a three-position pull switch, and the OEM wiper delay module found in a 620/720 pickup.

I'll make a simple schematic of what I did next time I am behind the dash. It was not too hard to figure out.

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

This is great info. Thanks for sharing Michael!
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Beat me to some pics......but your pics are so much better than mine!! Wow, great write up!! Yes, the mounting plate & pivot arm are THAT easy, just waiting on an electrical wiz buddy to help with wiring (me no likely wiring!)!! Really excited about this, cuz I even had the stock wiper motor opened up, cleaned up etc by a loal electrical shop, but the stock motors just don't cut it, being so old & outdated!

For those of you MISSING your wiper motors completely (common California thing is guess!!), you still need a stock motor assembly CORE, for the OEM style electrical plug so you can plug it right up to the OEM wiring harness, the triangular mounting plate, the pivot arm, and most importantly the pivot arm CLIP, which is often missing when buying an old motor assembly! I ALWAYS strongly suggest pulling the wiper mechanism with wheelboxes out of the car, disassemble, clean up & re-grease, as the wheelbox pivots often seize up! I ALWAYS apply some propane heat to each of the tiny nuts or screws (came both ways I think), cuz they too seize up, and will often break cuz so small!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!