Alternative Modern Wiper Motor Conversions

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
BackPackSaddler

Re: Alternative Modern Wiper Motor Conversions

Post by BackPackSaddler »

Nice write up! All I need now is to know how to wire it up and I'll be doing this to my 4 door!
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

So I received my Integra wiper motor from Rockauto today, p/n WPM5423 ordered for a 1999 Acura Integra. You can see that it's a little different compared to the one Spriso posted above. The gear cover is plastic and there's external wire junctions on the cover, whereas Spriso's has a metal cover and no external wire junctions. Also, the wire colors are different.

I suspect the differences are aftermarket (Rockauto made in China) vs. OE, and this may be a Honda version because I found a Del Sol wiper motor schematic online (sorry no link, I just wrote it down), and the wire colors and pinouts agree with this motor. Here's how the connector is wired for this motor:

By inspecting Spriso's photos and comparing, you can see that the wire mapping goes like this:

Viewing into the mating end of the male motor connector, and using the following pin numbering convention,
1 2 3
4 5
the pin assignments would be:

Pin, Function, Integra, Del Sol, 510:
1, HI, Blue/Yellow, Yellow, Blue/White (LW)
2, LO, Blue, Green, Blue (L)
3, GND, Blk, Blk, Blk (B)
4, PWR, Green/Blk, Red, Blue/Red (LR)
5, PARK, Blue/White, White, Blue/Yellow (LY)

Now for the unexpected surprise: The 510 wiper motor mounting plate bolts right up, no clearancing required! You can see in the second pic that it is close to interfering in a couple of spots, but it clears!

Here I've attached the 510 arm, and temp installed it on the car:

Now I just need to obtain a factory 510 motor male connector (my donor motor's connector is sadly perished), and wire it up. With the requisite serviceable donor 510 wiper motor parts, this is a true bolt on upgrade. A minor miracle, actually...
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Vintageconnections.com has your connector shell and pins. Great find. Thank you.
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

Equipped with the proper connector bits (thanks Michael!) I cut off the modern connector from the new motor and crimped/soldered the spade contacts to the wires and then inserted the contacts into the 510-style shell.

Here's pic of the connector plugged in to the wiper connector on my '72 harness where you can see the wire colors on both sides, and a wider shot showing the wire table I made for reference:

Since this is for my '72 project car which has yet to be fully wired, I tested it on my other running/driving '72 and it worked flawlessly! I had both LO and HI speeds and the PARK function worked perfectly. Stoked! I added a strain relief to the pigtail to protect the soldered wire terminals on the gear cover from getting yanked or flexed to the point where the wires might break off. Here's the final installation on my car:

Big thanks to Spriso for laying the groundwork and sharing his research on this most excellent wiper motor conversion!
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Yes thank you both! I ordered a used motor off Ebay primarily to have the metal zinc-coated cover to have it match the original as well as possible. A new one was NLA according to my parts guy at Honda plus would have cost a bunch more. Will clean it up before winter and install using Tedman's wiring directions.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
deano510

Post by deano510 »

I finally got my wiring corrected on this upgrade. I can't upload the wiring diagram so if anyone wants what worked for me with the acura wiper motor and my stock '71 510 connector, send me your email and I'll send you the diagram.

Please use the email below.

Dean
gzentas510@outlook.com
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Excellent information everyone who contributed! I need to do this.

Lots of parts on ebay right now, including new for less than $50.

Thanks.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

I need that triangle bracket that you mount the motor too. Anyone have any leads one?
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
sahill510
Supporter

Post by sahill510 »

Very cool. I was just going to do a Mazda 626 swap on my blue 510 but I think I'll go this route instead!
JLsKA

Post by JLsKA »

Amen to this mod!
68 Wagon

Post by 68 Wagon »

I've got one coming from Ebay off a '95 acura integra for my 68 Wagon....anybody know if the wiring is the same as the later cars? I also intend to do this to my wife's 72 4 door automatic car.
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
68 Wagon

Post by 68 Wagon »

I finished the 95 Integra wiper motor install. I used a wiring diagram from Deano (thank you), new connectors and sockets from vintage connections, and had to do some machining/filing in order get the 68 arm onto the Integra motor. Time consuming but not too difficult. As near as I could measure, the 68 wiper arm is slightly longer, center to center than the later arms too. The 68 wiper linkage also uses a slot rather than the round peg of the later wiper linkages. I hope I can attach a pic; left to right, 68 arm, 71 arm. I used a 3/16" end mill to create most of the slot in the round upper hole in the 68 arm, then finished it with a square needle file. The pic shows the splined round hole on the 68 motor arm; you have to grind off the bradded hump to get the where you can then pull the arm off the 68 motor. I made one but a 2 prong puller would work. Hope this helps anyone with a 68.
Last edited by 68 Wagon on 15 Mar 2018 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
68 Wagon

Post by 68 Wagon »

Well, once again even after resizing my picture to 496kb it will not attach saying it is an invalid file. I guess at 70 I am too "old school" for this stuff. Sorry.

*Edit* Photos posted for Scott by Byron - thanks for your input, hopefully this helps out the '68 owners out there with this conversion.
P1010647 (Medium).JPG
P1010647 (Medium).JPG (115.08 KiB) Viewed 8994 times
68 on top, next 1972, bottom 1995 Accura Integra wiper motor. As usual, the '68 is a one of a kind.
P1010648 (Medium).JPG
P1010648 (Medium).JPG (111.32 KiB) Viewed 8994 times
P1010649 (Medium).JPG
P1010649 (Medium).JPG (123.79 KiB) Viewed 8994 times
'68 wiper arm to the left with the splined hole, '72 to the right
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Here are the resized photos for Scott - 68 Wagon, added into his thread above..

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
abisel

Post by abisel »

Question about lubrication. What is the preferred grease for the plastic gears inside the transmission of these wiper motor assemblies? I have been looking at silicon grease of low viscosity. Any suggestions?