Dash harness and hardware questions

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Intel

Dash harness and hardware questions

Post by Intel »

Just picked up a 1971 Datsun 510 last summer and I am in the middle of creating a dash harness for it as it doesn't currently have one. My car currently has a KA24de swap with megasquirt and the only stock harness in it is the one that goes to the taillights. My goal is to recreate a semi oem harness although with the use of relays for the lights etc vs running all the power through the headlight switch.

The wiring was neater before I pulled it apart to figure out what it was all doing. Hoping by summer to have all of this replaced.

My first question is if anyone has pictures of a stock oem harness with the connectors labeled for a reference? I have multiple versions of the electrical diagram and have come up with a very basic small harness to give me Headlights/Turn signals/hazards etc so she is sort of legal on the road. The car did come with a 1968 style sweeper dash with harness is that harness pretty similar to where I can use it as a reference?

Second question is I am in the midst of getting the dash frame/pedal box powdercoated along with the top metal pieces. When I dissassembled everything it was all done in silver screws that didn't look oem and really stood out. Does anybody have pictures or sizes/lengths/color of the dash hardware.

Hardware questions Size/Thread/Color if you know it.
1. Gauge/Glovebox/Center radio console to metal frame
2. Bolts that hold this in place. Mine were bright silver.. I assume they came with something in black?
3. Replacement plastic clips for dash frame. I need like 5-6 as most came out in one piece when prepping it for powdercoat.
4. Any other hardware related to the dash frame that I might be missing?
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Dash harness and hardware questions

Post by okayfine »

The '68 harness is similar to the late-dash harness, but I don't think it's enough to really help. If you have good color wiring diagrams, you'd be better off with that and:
http://vintageconnections.com/

They have most of the wiring plugs and sockets used in 510s.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Intel

Post by Intel »

Already have all the connectors from vintage connections and corsa.

Been resoldering wires to my switches as they were mostly hacked off or brittle.

The problem I am having is sourcing the circular connector for the dash/gauges and the general layout of how it is all arranged out from the harness. I have a very good understanding of how all the circuits work etc. In the end I can make it work just was trying to make it as stock style as possible.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I may have a hacked up dash harness I can get the circular connector from. I can look this weekend.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Depending on how hacked the harness is, maybe just send the whole thing.

Is there any way you can start with a whole factory harness? Old or not, you'd be miles ahead I think. Building one from scratch is a huge job. If you don't want to use a factory harness, how about a rewire kit from a hot rod outfit? There are many to choose from.

It's a challenge to do this on your own, but man a lot of work! Keep us posted on the progress.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Intel

Post by Intel »

Byron510 wrote:Depending on how hacked the harness is, maybe just send the whole thing.

Is there any way you can start with a whole factory harness? Old or not, you'd be miles ahead I think. Building one from scratch is a huge job. If you don't want to use a factory harness, how about a rewire kit from a hot rod outfit? There are many to choose from.

It's a challenge to do this on your own, but man a lot of work! Keep us posted on the progress.

Byron
Thanks! I will get it done I am not worried. Just sorting my way through it and will put together a test run in the next few weeks.

Any ideas on the Dash hardware sizes/color?
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

The "Paolo" hand drawn wiring schematics are KILLER cool!! He must be an engineer or something, cuz they are dead nutz easy to use! They are fully color coded, have a drawing of every plug, location of each color coded wire IN the plugs etc etc. If you are not aware, I believe ALL of the Haynes Clymers Chilton's etc etc aftermarket wiring schematics are wrong.....not USA-spec. This makes using them a real pain!

His contact is paolo@cedarcomm.com

If qwik510 doesn't have what you need, I do! I even have a few really nice clean uncut dash harnesses.

I am in DESPERATE need of a very early production 1970 Sedan round gauge DASH HARNESS if anybody has one! There is a white part # tag on every harness (although they do fall off).......the one I need is part # 24013-A5500.......nothing else will work without modifications. Somebody save me!!! :roll:

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Mr0erick0

Post by Mr0erick0 »

which connector kit did you with at vintage connection and what wiring harness?? I'm trying to get starting on wiring for my 68 510.