Post by dat5102dr »

tried?
Attachments
prod-C2100-600x439p.png
prod-C2100-600x439p.png (121.6 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
heli006

Re: Windshield

Post by heli006 »

Well listen to this...that Chinese windshield that I had in a carton in the basement and was getting ready to install...the one that looked un laminated? It wasn't laminated, it was a rear window! And a genuine Nissan one too! My existing rear window was badly scratched anyway so I installed the rear window tonight by myself in an hour. Bit of a workout but it went well. No lube just a rope. The next one I do will definitely have lube though, it would have been easier.
Im ordering a new Chinese front windshield tomorrow using the link a user supplied above. Good price, even for a Chinese one.
heli006

Post by heli006 »

zKars wrote:I. Picked up a new chinese made windshield at Crystal Autoglass here in Calgary last fall for $250-ish. $350 for clearplex sounds like a bit of a profit maker shall we say. Wonder how bugs, dirt, wiper motion etc affect wear. Sure can't scrap ice or snow off it! Maybe they don't stick to this stuff.
Apparently people do use scrapers on clearplex although they must be free of burrs and nicks. Apparently the film is pretty tough. I wouldn't use scrapers but but datto won't see snow. At all. Ever. Lol
heli006

Post by heli006 »

heli006 wrote:Well listen to this...that Chinese windshield that I had in a carton in the basement and was getting ready to install...the one that looked un laminated? It wasn't laminated, it was a rear window! And a genuine Nissan one too! My existing rear window was badly scratched anyway so I installed the rear window tonight by myself in an hour. Bit of a workout but it went well. No lube just a rope. The next one I do will definitely have lube though, it would have been easier.
Im ordering a new Chinese front windshield tomorrow using the link a user supplied above. Good price, even for a Chinese one.
This won't work. I have every compound ms known to man and even cerium oxide (the pros use this for glass will only remove extremely fine scratches (the kind you cannot catch a fingernail in). Detailing clay is perfect for removing oxidation and environmental contaminants from paint and will do the same for glass but it's not appropriate or capable of scratch removal. I'm talking real scratches here. The only way to remove them is but literally sanding glass away using specialized papers and compounds including cerium oxide as a final polish.