Constant power to blower motor and turn signals.

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
BackPackSaddler

Constant power to blower motor and turn signals.

Post by BackPackSaddler »

Recently got my 510, its ka24de swapped and has a parasitic drain on the battery, takes a few days if not drove but eventually kills battery. I replaced the battery two weeks ago so I know it's not the issue. But I noticed that with the key off and out of the switch, you can turn on the heater and the turn signals will work. I haven't don't any testing or anything like that but I'm wondering if these two things having constant power to them all the time cause the battery to drain down? I've just been disconnecting the battery after driving it to keep it charged. I'm kind of stumped.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Constant power to blower motor and turn signals.

Post by Three B's Racing »

Those should only work with the key on. The emergency flashers work with key out.
Attachments
datsun_510_wiring_diagram.png
datsun_510_wiring_diagram.png (277.63 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

it only takes a second of bad ground to kill the diode pack in a Hitachi alternator. if the ground was interrupted with the engine running the diodes are fried. with no diodes the alt will back feed and drain down the battery. disconnecting the T plug will verify if this is the source of the leak. if the diodes are gone a diode can be added inline for cheep, install a ground switch at the battery or rebuild the alt
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
BackPackSaddler

When I got the car the alternator ground was not hooked to the chassis at all, could that have hurt the diode at all? Since grounding that the alt charges the battery.
BackPackSaddler

And the hazards don't work at all lol I hate tracing down wiring that I didn't do, it's aggravating. But part of it I know.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

PS the ONLY wiring schematic that you want to use is the hand drawn COLOR one above ^^^^^^ that Three B's posted.......depending on what year your car is! Soak the fusebox in white vinegar for a day or two, install HD electronic flasher units in BOTH hazard circuit & turnsignal circuit......they are up under drivers side dash, near steering column. If your existing dash harness or engine harness is cut up etc, let me know EXACTLY what year car, I might have nice clean harnesses.

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
BackPackSaddler

I have that diagram saved on my phone now so I'll have it, and my car is a 1972 4 door.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I just received the "BIG" late 1970-1972 diagram from Paolo, and it has more info on it, including the factory optional tach, clock etc AND it shows some of the common electrical modifications including the internal regulated alternator, battery relocation, headlight relays etc etc..........none of which is on the above ^^^^^^ diagram. All of my Paolo diagrams (I ordered all 8 SMALL diagrams + the 70-72 BIG diagram!) are clearly labelled what the particular diagram is for......ie 69 Sedan AUTO or 70-72 Sedan MANUAL or 70-72 Wagon AUTO etc etc.......8 total different diagrams! Do be careful, as the above ^^^^^^ diagram does NOT state exactly what application...........

If anybody is interested in ordering Paolo's diagrams IN PRINT, they are laminated and they are KILLER!!!!!! Contact him at paolo@cedarcomm.com, tell him TJ sent ya!!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

yenpit wrote:I just received the "BIG" late 1970-1972 diagram from Paolo, and it has more info on it, including the factory optional tach, clock etc AND it shows some of the common electrical modifications including the internal regulated alternator, battery relocation, headlight relays etc etc..........none of which is on the above ^^^^^^ diagram. All of my Paolo diagrams (I ordered all 8 SMALL diagrams + the 70-72 BIG diagram!) are clearly labelled what the particular diagram is for......ie 69 Sedan AUTO or 70-72 Sedan MANUAL or 70-72 Wagon AUTO etc etc.......8 total different diagrams! Do be careful, as the above ^^^^^^ diagram does NOT state exactly what application...........

If anybody is interested in ordering Paolo's diagrams IN PRINT, they are laminated and they are KILLER!!!!!! Contact him at paolo@cedarcomm.com, tell him TJ sent ya!!
Above diagram is one of Kevin Dietz creations and is for 70-72. I have one of Paolo's big diagrams, created for the seeing impaired, order dudes :lol:
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon