510 Chassis Wire Size

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
jeffball610

510 Chassis Wire Size

Post by jeffball610 »

Now that my project car is on the road, I need to start cleaning things up. One of the first steps is to clean up my rats nest of wires. Some of you may recall that I wanted (and basically did) a complete rewire of the system with a modern fuse/relay panel and other "upgrades" to the system. After doing so, I realized that I made a few mistakes and also had to add a few unplanned circuits to pass inspection for road worthiness.

Looking at the system, I would like to replace all (or most) of the wiring due to splices, unnecessary circuits on plugs, and some corrosion of the original copper wiring and brass terminals. I'm not entirely sure of the wire sizes and not sure how to measure what's there. I could do a Google search, but thought it might be beneficial for others to have some hard data to refer to if they plan to do something similar.

Vintageconnections.com has the appropriate connectors for those wanting to keep the original connectors. I'll probably keep most of mine since they are in good condition, but several others will be replaced with more modern weather resistant units.

I'm not sure where to look for wire sizes or specifications on the original system. I'm planning to use Tefzel Mil-spec wiring and Raychem coverings for both the chassis and the rework of my engine harness for longevity and a more professional direction my build is taking. If anyone has specs or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. If someone else has done this, it would be great to see some detailed information on what you used and how.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
zKars
Supporter

Re: 510 Chassis Wire Size

Post by zKars »

Some time when you want to learn ALL you will ever need to know about auto/race etc wiring, click this.

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html
jeffball610

Re: 510 Chassis Wire Size

Post by jeffball610 »

Haha. I read that last night and bookmarked it in my build guide I keep for myself. I've got a few other sites on the list as well including ProwireUSA and some wiring diagrams.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs