Wiring Harness

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Mr0erick0

Wiring Harness

Post by Mr0erick0 »

Hey guys/gals! Im about to purchase an EZ wiring harness for my 510 but after reading that I would need crimpers? From vintage connections. I need some advice on what I actually do need haha first time ever messing around with wires.... :mrgreen:

Running a L16 so no idea how many wires I actually need, etc.
510wizard
Supporter

Re: Wiring Harness

Post by 510wizard »

Why are you replacing the factory wiring? If you need new connectors on the factory wiring , then I highly recommend the Vintage stuff. Just buy what you need plus the crimp tool or better yet a connection kit from them( comes with connector and tool). They will make up a kit for you if their standard kits won't do. They are great to deal with.
Mr0erick0

Post by Mr0erick0 »

I don't have any wiring in general unfortunately.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Sent PM! I have a nice clean 68 dash harness, might have engine compartment but they are always crusty, needing re-wrap & likely some repairs. Re-wiring a Datsun with an aftermarket kit is a BIG task, especially if you have never done wiring work before!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Recommend you get a wiring diagram for your car and study it long before you start running wires. A universal aftermarket harness is fine and good, but it won't be a complete solution for you. A 510's headlight switch has five wires on it - how many wires is the aftermarket harness sending?

Your first wiring project being a complete rewiring of your car isn't likely to go well. I'd pursue a stock harness and repair as necessary (with said wiring diagram). Year and model of your car also matter. '68 is different from all, wagons are different from sedans, for the most part the late sedans will all be similar, with a few oddball wires for '73 two-doors.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DQ Volume 5 Issue 3 - Tech How-To: Troubleshooting Electrical Systems: Part One - Automotive electrical system fault diagnosis may be the most feared work for the backyard mechanic. Many people view electrical systems as a sort of black magic, best left to professional shops. This may hold true for newer computer controlled vehicles that rely on special diagnostic tools. This is definitely not true for older cars like our 510s that don’t utilize computers.

DQ Volume 6 Issue 1 - Troubleshooting Electrical Systems: Part Two - In part one we explored some basic electrical circuit types, general components, and a simple test case. In part two we’ll dig deeper into the different electrical components along with their specific purpose.

DQ Volume 11 Issue 3 - Tech How-To: Fuse Box Identification — Nissan used different fuse boxes for different 510 model years. DQ presents an illustrated guide for 510 fuse boxes to help you figure out which one you have, plus circuit diagrams in case you want to build your own.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 0M28?hl=en
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson