Intercooler installation

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Intercooler installation

Post by VelvetHammer »

Any photos of some clean intercooler installations?

By the looks of it you'd have to cut the car? Hole for horn looks too small to pass through.
Removal of high beams is an option but you'd have to cut the bucket out?

Thanks,
Cory
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Intercooler installation

Post by bertvorgon »

Here are some pictures of mine.

The theory, as my car was a purpose built Solo/hillclimb car, that I wanted/needed as quick a throttle response as possible, so no long piping, and, did not want to hack up the car. So, I put it behind the left headlight assembly, where for RACING, I can just pull the whole assembly out for max airflow, and for street driving, which has turned out to be more than adequate, I just have a screen where the high beam light was and opened up the back of the bucket a tad, without wrecking it should I ever need to run a high beam light.

With this size of cooler, I had dropped my discharge temperature from 350+F. to 140'ish F in full combat situations and the radiator is not covered by a huge air blocker..

I built the tanks myself. I am not familiar with your setup, so plumbing is always a concern as to how to do it in our limited engine bay space.

Here are a few pictures that may help or give you some ideas.
Attachments
turbo3 (Small).jpg
turbo3 (Small).jpg (57.43 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
IMGP9188 (Small).JPG
IMGP9188 (Small).JPG (105.23 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
IMGP9181 (Small).JPG
IMGP9181 (Small).JPG (134.09 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
IMGP5994 (Small).JPG
IMGP5994 (Small).JPG (147.34 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
IMGP4973 (Small).JPG
IMGP4973 (Small).JPG (83.2 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
IMG_7754.JPG
IMG_7754.JPG (136.88 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

And while I think of it, I built a very simple water spray system to spray water onto the core, whenever I want.

This helps in low speed situations, should you want to drop your intake temp a tad.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

Thanks for posting, very cool solution! If I can figure out the engineering, I'll be supercharging my motor, and the blower will be on the passenger side of the engine, so I'd have to pipe the SC outlet over to the driver side like you have it.

I hear what you are saying about heat soaking and double stacking the intercooler on top of the radiator. Not ideal but based on the temp drops you are getting maybe not that impactful either.

The party bar is a good idea too@
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

Thanks for posting, very cool solution! If I can figure out the engineering, I'll be supercharging my motor, and the blower will be on the passenger side of the engine, so I'd have to pipe the SC outlet over to the driver side like you have it.

I hear what you are saying about heat soaking and double stacking the intercooler on top of the radiator. Not ideal but based on the temp drops you are getting maybe not that impactful either.

The spray bar is a good idea too!