Exterior squeegees.

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Beegee2

Exterior squeegees.

Post by Beegee2 »

Hi, wondering how people have been attaching the outer sgueegees when they need replacing? Can’t see how to staple the back piece on again, just wondering if pop rivets would work! Any advice appreciated.

Bernie from New Zealand.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Exterior squeegees.

Post by bertvorgon »

I have a thread on here when I did mine, I will see if I can find it and post the link.

keith
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That was easier than I thought...

It starts at the bottom of the page, hope it helps, worked very well for me.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... t&start=45
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Superb write up Mr. Law.
Last edited by two_68_510s on 14 Dec 2017 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Beegee2

Post by Beegee2 »

Hi Bert,
Thanks for your very comprehensive write up. My trims are badly rusted on the piece that the staples go through first so I was hoping to find out what people did about replacing that. I’m thinking I’ll need to completely replace that piece then carefully drill right through (holding it all with the the pinch nose pliers, then pop rivet with small rivets which will probably need filing/grinding down so they don’t snag on anything. There’s a firm in Australia making reproduction squeegees of very good quality for AU$60.00 for 2 door and double for 4 door 1600’s (you call them 510’s) inner and outer (they are different) and you can find them on eBay.com.au search under datsun 1600.
Thanks again Bert.
Cheers, Bernie.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I used 3M weather strip adhesive. I put a thin layer on both mating pieces and le it dry, then applied another thin layer and placed the rubber seal into position. But you must take caution and be precise in your placement because once that adhesive touches, it sticks and having to pull it back off would likely result in damage to the seal.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Beegee2

Post by Beegee2 »

OK. Maybe it might help to put glue on. I’ve got time as our car (i.e. my son and I are converting a 4 door to a 2 door) is still at the panel shop. More concerned about the metal strip which is stapled through from the back as it is so rusty as to be useless. Need to completely replace them.