Seat belt mounting location ???

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Button

Seat belt mounting location ???

Post by Button »

Hey guys this is probably a dumb question but where is the seat belt shoulder mount hole on a 2 door 1972 510? My car came as a project and has a new headliner and no holes cut in to it. I already made an incision on where I thought it was, so I would like to figure out where it's supposed to mount before cutting any more unnecessary holes. I have been looking around but I cant find a shot of 2 door 510 with out the headliner installed.
The carpet is removed so I have found the other mounting points.

Thank you.
zKars
Supporter

Re: Seat belt mounting location ???

Post by zKars »

On my 69 they are on the.vertical face of the rear quarter/sail panel just below the where the air vent is positioned on the outside. They are not on the flat of the parcel shelf or along the back vertical piece between the shelf and the rear glass. I will find a picture of what I did back there.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Oh sure, no direct picture. What I do know, is that I built a very stought L bracket to move the hole to the horizonal plane, to put a retracter on my new raised parcel shelf. So it more less half way between the top of the rear seat back and the glass. It's quite close to the metal parcel shelf, it's not very high off that deck.

I should just a picture of this... Wait... Snow shovel, parka.... I can measure the distance from seat back to my new bolt, its directly above the stock hole.

I was the expected 7/16-20 thread BTW.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Ok, more details.

The centerline of the holes is. 3.5 inch behind the seat back. The two plastic oval air vents are both in front of this hole to further help visualize where it is. The bottom of the bottom vent is about 1" in front of the hole position. Further, its down in the trim piece that runs around the perimeter of the glass and side vent panels.
IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG (136.64 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
Button

Post by Button »

Zkars thank you so much for taking the time to write that up and take a picture. I apologize but I meant the upper mounting point for the front seat belts. Again I really appreciate that and sorry, I should have been more clear in my initial question.

Chris
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Upper front seat belt mount is actually up in the headliner just rearward of the b pillar.
See if this post helps (has photos):
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... t&start=30

Many buy a retractable front seatbelt set with rigid female receivers and an 8” or 12” upper belt drop. These sets run $180-200. Searching the realm or ratsun will give you more specifics.
Datsport in Australia also sells sets and have nice instructions with photos.
Good luck!
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
Button

Post by Button »

Thank you Kurt. I already purchased the seatbelts from Seat Belt planet and got pretty much the same set up in that link. I will feel around a bit more and see if I can feel the hole based on where that picture shows it mounted. I checked out Datsport but they show it on a 4 door so its a different mount point.

So does a stock 510 have a built in "nut" to mount the upper seatbelt? Does it just bolt right in? Anyone have their headlined removed and would be willing to shoot a close up picture of where the bolt hole is?

Thanks again.
Button

Post by Button »

Based on looking at the photo again and another I found in a project thread and went out and felt around some more and found where the mount.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Chris
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Glad it worked out for you.
Sorry about the Datsport 4dr pic—I was referring to install pics in general.
All 510 seatbelt mounting holes have a 7/16-20 nut behind them, so you should be set.
Post pics when you are done...
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"