Steering column thread pitch

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Steering column thread pitch

Post by VelvetHammer » 15 Jan 2019 15:59

Anyone know the thread pitch for the shaft/ nut which hold the steering wheel onto the steering column?
Can't for the life of me figure it out.
Thanks

Tedman

Re: Steering column thread pitch

Post by Tedman » 15 Jan 2019 22:02

Parts manual says M6x1.5
http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/bl ... rom-oct-68

edit- Says M6 but I think that 's a typo. Should be M16.

VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer » 15 Jan 2019 23:40

Tedman wrote:
15 Jan 2019 22:02
Parts manual says M6x1.5
http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/bl ... rom-oct-68

edit- Says M6 but I think that 's a typo. Should be M16.
Wow, never knew about that site. Thanks.

I had actually bought an M16 x 1.5 tap and die, but I felt like it wasn't the right fit. Didn't want to rethread the shaft with the wrong pitch.
I'll take another look...

VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer » 19 Jan 2019 16:44

well, I was able to run the m16x1.5 Tap through the nut, taking a bit more effort than I had expected.

As a control, I have a 2nd steering column shaft/nut on a shelf (they don't have any issues, the nut runs all the way down the threads by hand). I ran the tap though that nut and it got stuck on the tap as well. I tapped it all the way though and re installed and I could still run it down by hand. Back on the shelf it goes.

So is it a special lock nut that pinches? Or is it just a crappy Chinese tap?

For the life of me I can't get the m16x1.5 Die started on the shaft without cross-threading. The freshly tapped nut will run down on the threads 1/3 of the way but it gets stuck. I can run it all the way down the threads using a ratchet with light effort. I'll probably stop while i"m ahead.

Better than nothing (I don't want to have to swap out the stetting column), but still irritating none the less.

Tedman

Post by Tedman » 20 Jan 2019 23:07

The nut is just a nut, nothing special except that it's metric. There's supposed to be a serrated washer underneath for locking. I just bought a nut from a hardware store and it went on fine. Sounds like the problem might be your column threads. Are they rusty? Do whatever it takes (wire brush) to clean up the threads as best you can, without using the die. Take a carefull look at the threads where the nut hangs up using a magnifying glass. Sometimes you'll find a nicked thread that causes grief. Then you have to decide whether to chase the threads, or go for it with some anti-seize and a NEW M16x1.5 nut. Will a new nut thread onto your other column? That would be useful to know.

JordanTr

Post by JordanTr » 21 Jan 2019 05:13

Triangle files have worked for farmers for years!

Better yet is a thread file (of the right pitch) if you don’t want to chase the threads with a die.
Jordan | '72 2 door KA project | '94 240sx RB26DETT | '97 Silvia RB25DET | '90 Audi 90 Quattro 20V (DD)

VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer » 21 Jan 2019 10:37

JordanTr wrote:
21 Jan 2019 05:13
Triangle files have worked for farmers for years!

Better yet is a thread file (of the right pitch) if you don’t want to chase the threads with a die.
i actually tried using a 1.5 thread file yesterday but it didn't improve the condition. On closer inspection I can see one thread is a bit flat. I'll grab triangle file and see if I can shape it a bit more.

Tedman- I'll also buy a new nut and see how it goes.

VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer » 21 Jan 2019 18:10

Nope, new nut wouldn't run down.

Two things:
1. I apparently need glasses. I put on my magnifying visor and saw a few more threads on the opposite side that needed attention.

2. Turns out I was being too soft with the thread file, so I went at it with a bit more muscle. I got all the threads to be uniformly shiny again, and that seemed to do the trick.

It's still runs tight/ slow through the center but I can finally run it down using my fingers. I'll finesse a bit more and see if I can free it up

For whatever reason the die still wants to crossthread, but the nut works at this point so I'm abandoning that.

Case closed. Thanks for the tips.

yenpit

Post by yenpit » 22 Jan 2019 15:00

Sounds like somebody whacked the crap out of the shaft to get the steering wheel off, maybe crushing/compressing the threads!
72 510 4dr
1965 Mustang GT Coupe
2003 Saturn LW300 - wow!
LOTS of 510 parts!

VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer » 23 Jan 2019 14:02

yenpit wrote:
22 Jan 2019 15:00
Sounds like somebody whacked the crap out of the shaft to get the steering wheel off, maybe crushing/compressing the threads!
Haha yeah I probably did that in high school when I was a bit less attention oriented.