summer is comming! an air conditioning saga

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
RMS
Supporter

summer is comming! an air conditioning saga

Post by RMS »

No, not that Summer...

but it would be nice to get some air conditioning rocking in a 510 before it gets hot. now, I have been saying that for the last decade....
I have a stock dealer option under dash air conditioner(evaporator with blower and controls). ImageI have yet to split the case to see how the two lines connect to the evaporator but they did connect to the dryer and condenser with hose clamps? when looking at new condensers they have male o-ring fittings with a #6 #8.. ? can I go from a fancy new fitting to just a hose clamp?

the other day I found a company in FL that makes a Compressor Upgrade Kit for the 240 60 80z cars.
https://nostalgicac.com/compressors/com ... e-kit.html

the bracket looks fairly simple, but would the pulleys line up? it is slotted for l26 to l28? belt diagram don't jive with a l16 or l20b... the z24's 3 grove needs the front grove cut off to clear a stock rad, but most troubling is how slow the compressor will spin if it runs on the small inside grove of a stock L16 two grove pulley. would it be too small ?
hmm they also offer bits of brackets.... that would save a lot of file and fit
ImageImage
so the dealer option condenser was 10x18x2in and sat very snugly between the rad and the core support rod.
the opening on the rad support is 12.75 x 19.5 but with a narrower condenser you have to the the ability to push it to 26x13.5 before the grill brackets interfere.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
RMS
Supporter

Re: summer is comming! an air conditioning saga

Post by RMS »

Boy it is hard to apprentice off the internet.... so Im using this thread to sort through the info and hopefully get some direction.
links:
automotive ac nomenclature and general info https://www.carparts.com/classroom/ac1.htm
http://cf.linnbenton.edu/eit/auto/kroli ... _cycle.pdf

general how to convert from R-12 to R-134a https://www.aa1car.com/library/retrofit.htm
http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/co ... -to-r134a/

dealers offering z car upgrade kits https://nostalgicac.com/compressors/com ... e-kit.html
http://autoacsolutions.com/

hose kits and fittings https://www.vintageair.com/hose-kits-fittings/
https://nostalgicac.com/fittings-hose-kits.html

sanden 508 compressor service guide http://www.sanden.com/productlibrary/ma ... _Rev_2.pdf

dug a little deeper into the evaporator box and uncovered the hose connections. can anyone tell me the name and size of these connections? wrench size of the fittings = 3/4, 7/8, and 1in ? will the expansion valve need to be changed and if so do I replaced with an orifice tube ?
Attachments
IMG_2376.jpg
IMG_2376.jpg (85.37 KiB) Viewed 5801 times
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I'm a fan of EZ-Clip fittings for AC work. Go see New-line hose, they have all the fittings you need and can help you adapt to your equipment. New-line.com

I've done several Z and 1 510 using vintage air evap boxes (compaq and mini) and love EZ-CLip hoses. DIY, smaller hose, tight bends.
cartel

Post by cartel »

i have pretty much a full selection of ezclip stuff in stock all the time i have at least 20 fittings here- just got a 50' roll of -6 too..
at least the nissan evap has an expansion valve on it- you might find that the "old" condensor wont work well for r134- id replace it myself-
i dont think its common for expansion valves to die so it should be good to go- need an external dryer and a switch-
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

ez-clip .... I thought I would have to drop a few hundred on a set of crimps. when apprenticing off the internet your only subjected to the parts your search engine offers up.

thanks for the recommendation guys

hey cartel im out in langley almost every sunday .... ?

I do plan on getting a new condenser ( looking at a12x20 CNFP1220 ) , dryer and (corrector me if I'm wrong) a switch...? (something called ac pressure transducer?) . along with a high side tap and low side tap.

do I bother with a used pump should I buy new ? and if new should it be a SD5H14 or a SD5H11
cartel

Post by cartel »

I'm a vintage air dealer and keep most of the stuff in stock. Dryers and switches and generic condenser.
Today taking kid to Canucks game today but some weekends I'm there.

If I sell the parts u can use the crimper.
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I will definitely have to drop by one day soon. next weekend im doing a motor swap in a dakota. :roll:

enjoy the game

contact you soon
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

On a 240Z L24 6cyl we used a ZX cast aluminum AC bracket (earlier Z is heavy cast iron!), made a simple spacer to adapt the compressor, hung a NEW Sanden AC compressor (SO MUCH more efficient that the original York gigantic monster POS compressor!), flipped the dealer installed condenser so both line fittings were on DRIVERS side, a universal receiver drier on DRIVERS side lower inner fender (below ign coil), had custom hoses made, got a nice universal NEW firewall/bulkhead double (two hoses) pass thru fitting, custom hoses to the original dealer installed AC evaporator box up under PASSENGER side dash. Luckily the evap valve & evap core were in good condition, otherwise you would have to repair or fabricate, cuz there are no factory part #'s for replacement parts! Hope that helps some!

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

interesting I didnt know the zx had an aluminum bracket.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Nathan Marshall in N. Carolina makes a nice bracket that allows you to bolt on a Modern Sanden compressor to a L 4 engine. He and the”510s R Us” gang have done several successful installs on 510s.

I have one of them. Maybe one day I’ll get it installed.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Dave do you think Nathan's bracket could be used to adapt an alternator on the DRIVERS side with some lighter mods and/or another adapter? velvethammer is looking to do this in his thread on an L20B, which has a different cast bolt pattern on the block than the L16/L18............
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

RMS yup, it's a nice cast aluminum bracket that should bolt up to all of the 6cyl L series! FYI the 4cyl vs the 6cyl bolt pattern cast into the front DRIVERS side of the blocks for accessories ARE different. I bet somebody could make it work on a 4cyl, but again, should fit all 6cyl!

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

yenpit wrote: 29 Jan 2019 15:40 Dave do you think Nathan's bracket could be used to adapt an alternator on the DRIVERS side with some lighter mods and/or another adapter? velvethammer is looking to do this in his thread on an L20B, which has a different cast bolt pattern on the block than the L16/L18............

I’m not sure. I can pull it from storage and take a few pics.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Nah, I'll just send velvethammer to Nathan!

I will be in OC in February (no set date yet) working on the house & think we will visit SS, will let you know! Hope all is well!

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

OP, did you ever finalize and get this installed and working? Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm am considering doing this to one of my cars in the next couple years, I have one of the original dash units too (but broken), so need to consider if I use it or a modern evap box.