Quaterpanel replacement

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
MikeY

Quaterpanel replacement

Post by MikeY »

I'm sure if I think and try long enough i will figure this out. This is my first attempt at a full futofab quarter replacement. With a new trunk drop and wheel tub. There are a few pinch point on the quarter. Wondering where to trim the new panel. Getting the trunk drip rail over and the taillight panel under while getting the air vent under and the quarter window area right all at the same time. I can't find the build threat where I've seen some pictures. Any one with a few tips and tricks.
MikeY

Re: Quaterpanel replacement

Post by MikeY »

Every one loves picture. I start by tucking the flap at the window , trunk corner. Then opened up and bent some metal at the taillight panel corner. It's a bit of a bitch to tuck in. All the while watching and tucking the air vent area. Finally getting the quarter window ledge right. Still have yet to get that. And the rockers are home made. Great job but leaves me with fit questions. The wheel arch tub doesn't fit so well. Easy to cut and reweld the rocker. No room fit quarter panel over lap was left so it was being opened up anyway
Attachments
realm4.jpg
realm4.jpg (83.87 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
realm3.jpg
realm3.jpg (90.15 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
realm6.jpg
realm6.jpg (101.93 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
realm5.jpg
realm5.jpg (80.1 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
realm7.jpg
realm7.jpg (85.45 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
realm2.jpg
realm2.jpg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
realm1.jpg
realm1.jpg (113.18 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I guess at this point I'm not asking for help. I knew it was just a matter of taking my time and addressing each pinch point one at a time. Now to uncurl the wheel well lip so the inner and outer lip can snug up. Along with cutting the rocker to make it work. And boxing up the rocker end.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Watching with anticipation....

I can’t give any advice, if I sure do appreciate the play by play.

Do keep us posted, thanks Mike.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Well today went better. Almost got the quarter to lay in place. The rocker is slightly too large and I had to cut and reweld to get the inner arch to sit right. The inner and outer wheel lips don't want to line up easily. Took a bit of work to straighten out the outs lip and make them overlap. Then fabing up the rocker end to box it in. Still a little to do there. But at one point the quarter was on so light at the end of the tunnel. Still will have to hang the trunk and door before any welding. And I expect some work around the taillight panel. And i haven't offered up the trunk drop to the mix.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

A few pictures and got my new compressor online.
Attachments
realm11.jpg
realm11.jpg (68.2 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

The dry fit and rocker end
Attachments
realm8.jpg
realm8.jpg (82.4 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
realm10.jpg
realm10.jpg (95.89 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
realm9.jpg
realm9.jpg (97.55 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Looks good Mike, keep up the good work. I sure would like a dollar for every time it took that panel off to make a small adjustment on the way to getting a good fit.

Matching the wheel house lip with the panel arch took some work for me too. After opening up the lip on the quarter panel the top of the arch matched up fairly well. I cut a slit in each wheel house near the bottom of the arch and inserted a gusset to get the edges close.

MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Thanks for this picture. I see this job in my future. I was wondering whos thread had this job in it, and through a link I found someone else's as well. If for no other reason its moral support. Things are not fitting as I had hoped and the super sonic line at the rear disappears. But it's is so nice to have new metal. Next I'm worried about what to prime and when. Can't see not getting some epoxy primer on the hidden spots. And a top coat with zero rust and weld thru in the right spots. It is a complicated repair. I will get some more pictures up later as things progress. I'm moving slowly.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Have made some progress. I'm happy with the wheel house and trunk drop fit. And the quarter is pretty close. Just some wheel lip gap. I might hammer and dolly the wheelhouse or slice and weld. Time will tell. I'm never sure what is correct but thought getting epoxy on the backside of parts now was a good idea. And a coat of 2k primer as well masked off the areas where I will be welding and will spray weld thru there. Made a panel for the rocker end and will probably glue it on along with a few spot welds. I call them spot welds but as most of you know it's drill a hole and try to recreate the spot weld. Some.puddles.look ok. Most just get grinded flat.
Attachments
realm22.jpg
realm22.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
realm21.jpg
realm21.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
realm23.jpg
realm23.jpg (66.95 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
realm24.jpg
realm24.jpg (89.98 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

The rocker end didn't turn out too bad. It's a bit of a weird shape. I will prime and rust paint this area before overlapping the wheelhouse.
Attachments
realm25.jpg
realm25.jpg (85.29 KiB) Viewed 3447 times