Rear window seal question.

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Rear window seal question.

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Hi fellas,

Im in the process of installing my front and rear glass using Datsport window seals. My question is on the rear window seal. It looks kinda of off on the rounded corner edges of the bottom window. Not sure what to do here. Mind you this is my first attempt at installing the glass. So, I likely could have the seal on incorrectly. My car didn't come with glass so I'm not sure exactly how its supposed to look. Please chime only if you have experience in this department.

ImageLS by v p, on Flickr

ImageLS by v p, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5837 by v p, on Flickr

Thanks in advance.
Vince
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
RMS
Supporter

Re: Rear window seal question.

Post by RMS »

because of how it gets folded to fit in the bag the rounded corners often look distorted and can take many hours to relax. If time permits I let the seals sit unfurled for a day before installing......its not needed but if your ocd dictates that every thing needs to be even at every step.......
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

RMS wrote: 31 Aug 2019 20:02 because of how it gets folded to fit in the bag the rounded corners often look distorted and can take many hours to relax. If time permits I let the seals sit unfurled for a day before installing......its not needed but if your ocd dictates that every thing needs to be even at every step.......
Thanks RMS I pulled the seal off and did just that. I will give another try when it cools down today. But yes my OCD is horrible lol. Thanks for the tip.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Hijacking a post! I'm doing the same stuff right now.

None of the windows get any sort of weatherstripping glue, correct? I'm doing the side windows on the Wagon and the windshield, wasn't sure if all seated windows are treated the same.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

oaklandsyd wrote: 10 Sep 2019 13:18 Hijacking a post! I'm doing the same stuff right now.

None of the windows get any sort of weatherstripping glue, correct? I'm doing the side windows on the Wagon and the windshield, wasn't sure if all seated windows are treated the same.
Front an rear windshield doesn't require glue. I did my quarter window seals also and they didn't require glue. Pretty sure thats the same for the wagon. If Im wrong please chime in.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Eastbaysolo how did the windshield install go just curious.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

edekalil wrote: 22 Feb 2020 12:47 Eastbaysolo how did the windshield install go just curious.
I haven't had any help to get the job done. By myself I cant to do it. Im might just take it to Troy Ermish and have him install the front and rear glass. Rather do it myself but non of my friends have any spare time at the moment.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

We use a local glass guy with experience on these old classic cars with the big thick C channel seals..........just not worth the headache..........especially if you break the glass in the end! :roll:

Use a spray bottle with water & couple drops Dawn dish soap...........keep it lubed up well! I assume you are using the rope trick to install??
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

yenpit wrote: 24 Feb 2020 15:48 We use a local glass guy with experience on these old classic cars with the big thick C channel seals..........just not worth the headache..........especially if you break the glass in the end! :roll:

Use a spray bottle with water & couple drops Dawn dish soap...........keep it lubed up well! I assume you are using the rope trick to install??
Troys shop is actually the cheapest around here in the Bay Area. I called a few glass guys and they all wanted to much to install it and didn't have any experience with old cars. I don't wanna risk someone breaking my glass. Troys been doing it for years so thats most likely were the car will end up if I don't do it myself. Yes using the rope trick install. I actually have a nice rope tool I bought from Zcardepot.com made for this particular install.

ImageScreen Shot 2020-02-24 at 7.48.02 PM by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Cool tool! It's amazing how we can struggle so much with it, and these glass guys (WITH experience) can knock it out in 20-30min!! :roll:
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

I'll look up that tool and get one, there are a couple of glass shops in town but I'll try to talk to some of the oldtimers who have some experience with it here. I'm not nearly at the point to install the glass it's still in the car now. Thanks for the info.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Got the glass installed fellas. The installer really liked the Datsport rubber. He said it was by far the easiest install he's done on a 510 in years. So with that said don't cheap out on your rubber so you dont run into any issues.

Imageimage0 2 by v p, on Flickr

Imageimage1 by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !